Mitsubishi Galant VR-4's

mrfxit, Feb 24, 11:41pm
ANY . petrol turbo performance engine IS a TIME BOMB.
Never mind a twin turbo.
Considering the share numbers of manufactured totals of petrol turbo & twin turbo models around regardless of brand, how many are still original untouched engines & still in good condition in excess of 150,000kms

Not saying stay away, just saying that the majority have been brought by ppl with little to no self control & those vehicles inspire drivers to go hard most times they start them up.
It's the sound & feel of that power that does it.

Good strong smooth motors in the v6 Mitsi range.
The early v6's are a bit prone to valve stem seal's leaking & clogged tappet valves but otherwise good when treated with respect.

sakofan, Feb 25, 3:54am
I had no problems at all with my '97 vr4 in the years I owned it. Never thrashed it, and I suspect I had good luck because I don't think the previous owners hammered it either. Sold with original turbos 2012, although I could tell they (or part of the induction system anyway) were wearing out since the blue smoke was only just starting. Many 10's of thousands on the clock, so it really was about due.

mrfxit, Feb 25, 4:23am
See what I mean . not trashed & they last

phillip.weston, Feb 25, 5:39am
my '96 Legnum VR-4 was running well at 206,000kms when I sold it. With the 6A series engine, I would say the source of blue smoke at that kms would be from the turbo seals rather than valve stem seals. I have had two over 6A non-turbo V6 engines at over 200,000kms and they had no signs whatsoever of oil burning or smoke. BHGs are not common unless severely overheated.

lazzo, Feb 25, 12:12pm
My Legnum VR4 was one of the best cars I've ever owned. Loved it.

thegravelracer, Feb 25, 8:12pm
i loved em till i had to work on one .stuff that again

dodgy76, Feb 26, 6:43am
We have just traded in our 2002 VR4 and we had no problems with it what so ever.Never used as a boy racer vehicle, had every service, and it never missed a beat.The only downside is can be quite thirsty. We bought it in 2005 and it was previous owned by an older gentleman and had been well looked after.Excellent driving in the winter around south island roads with the 4wd.

mrfxit, Feb 26, 7:02am
Give me TEN of those to work on before you even think about getting me a starter replacement job on a Nissan Atessa

dodgy76, Feb 26, 8:10am
Sorry wouldn't know had a 5spd manual #558257736 this is.

robotnik, Feb 26, 8:18am
They tiptronic on the 8G VR-4 is strong and gives little problems. The one common problem is that the torque converter oil seal can fail. This is a $15 item to replace, but you need the transmission out to replace it, which is a $1000 job at the mechanics due to the large amount of labour needed.

This problem is evident from a tell-tale leak of red ATF under the car. The leak is generally quite slow and you can keep topping up the fluid, but if the fluid does run too low then the transmission is toast.

n1smo_gtir, Feb 26, 9:01am
Got a 96 Galant VR4, It's a daily driver and not a race car for me. I just love the power and handle of it when doing long distance trips. I do alot of welly to rotorua trips. I put 95 in the VR4 and 91 in my 1.5l nissan wingroad and it cost pretty much the same to get there, approx 80 bucks. On the open road it's really good for passing and zipping through those desert rd.

The VR4's twin turbo has a very good low rev throttle response. soon as you put your foot down, you are propelled down the road. As factory standard, these cars do not stick out like dogs balls to the cops either as they look like your average family car galants that I seem to see many old people and family cruise around in.

It does get that authentic mitsi tappet noise but i find if you use decent quality oil and get oil change done every 5 thousand ks or so the tappet noise drastically quietens to almost non noticeable at normal operating temperature.

Personally I'd stick to a manual for Twin turbo. Auto just takes away the fun and challenge of driving a well handled car.

Buy from someone who hasn't molested it.