Hyundai Santa Fe in the soft?

haventrader, Feb 17, 4:58am
Would like to hear from owners of Hyundai Santa Fe's (2005 and later) who have used their vehicles on beaches and soft sand. How did they perform in 4wd! Anyone tow in soft sand, or launch / retrieve on a beach, and again how was that! Cheers

clark20, Feb 17, 9:39am
Just talked about that with a work colleague, he has one (2011) in CHCH, went to the snow and got stuck in 4WD, as only one wheel was spinning (his claim), says it put it back to 2WD and drove out!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 17, 8:49pm
OP, assuming you mean the second generation Santa Fe (which actually started 2006), if your budget allows why not just buy a Scoda Yeti, then you get trailer stability control and the brilliant Audi Quattro 4WD system, better value for money and much better fuel economy too.

Now I have suggested something European chances are the trolls will keep this bumped for you if nothing else.

NZTools, Feb 17, 9:15pm
Jazz, it,s a bit unfair calling others trolls, when you just jumped into a tread and completely ignored what the op was asking advise on. He wants to know how a santa fe will handle sand, not the merits of a skoda yeti.

Some might start mentioning pots and kettles.

haventrader, Feb 17, 11:22pm
Thanks Jazz for pointing out the year model, and yes, it is the 2nd generation starting from 2006. Although I have no objection toVW / Audi (or any other European car), at this stage it is only the ability of the Santa Fe I'm really interested in. Cheers

msigg, Feb 18, 8:27am
They are a great machine. They look good,go great. Most things will get stuck in snow/ice, that's why you put chains on. Off road they won't be as good as the bigger 4x4 like patrol and cruiser, but on road will handle better.

dalsouthern, Feb 24, 6:36pm
I think the guy that "put it back in 2wd" needs to read up on the fact they are full time AWD.They are front wheel drive till they detect wheel slip then automatically go into 4x4.For speeds lower than 40kph you can push the X button and it locks the center diff to make it full time 4x4.Before you go onto soft conditions you need to turn off the stability control because it is designed to take control of the car if the car slides, skids, rolls etc and it detunes the engine to "help" the driver which I find a complete pain in the arse.If you get a little bit of movement on a corner of a gravel road for example the car will brake and the throttle will go flat for a split second till it thinks your back in control.Pain in the arse for someone that can drive but I can see its merits

dalsouthern, Feb 24, 6:42pm
In mud or ice with the stability control on you go nowhere, foot to the floor and nothing much happens.If I was beach launching a boat I'd turn stability off and lock the diff