Hyundai Santa Fe OR Ford Territory?

Page 1 / 2
monaro17, Sep 1, 9:13am
Hi all-

Looking at upgrading to either a Hyundai Santa Fe CRDI AWD or a Ford Territory TDCI AWD. Both <40,000kms and 2013 or later. Santa Fe would be a standard spec and Territory would be a TS spec.

my current thoughts are,
-Territory seems more spacious and engine is quieter and smoother but has a really bad case of turbo lag on take off. Also it is permanent 4wd and has 2700kg towing so would suit my towing needs (1900kg caravan). However reviews seem to point to reliability issues.

-Santa Fe looks more modern and has far less bug bears. It is noticeably quicker to drive and is more economical. Standard version is quite low specced really (4 speed interior fan!) Doesn't look as nice inside as the TS Territory. Also has 2000kg braked but dealer told me that is for marketing purposes etc.

What have you heard about these vehicles? Any thoughts?

clark20, Sep 1, 12:35pm
I have driven both, and I would buy a petrol territory

mugenb20b, Sep 1, 5:46pm
I have driven both as well and I'd get the Santa Fe diesel.

stevo2, Sep 1, 5:54pm
I have only driven the diesel Santa Fe and I was very impressed.

msigg, Sep 1, 10:07pm
Santa Fe for me Prado would be better but your not looking at those.

monaro17, Sep 1, 10:08pm
I want to get away from a big petrol for towing. So a petrol version is a no go

monaro17, Sep 1, 10:11pm
A Prado? Never. Completely over priced underpowered and generally not that nice to drive. No thanks

msigg, Sep 1, 11:52pm
Fair call, each to their own.

phillip.weston, Sep 2, 12:03am
The Territory would be better suited to towing that weight but that's not to say the Santa Fe can't do that. It all depends on how frequently you are going to be towing the caravan as to how much you can put up with the increased fuel consumption of the Territory when you're not towing. The Santa Fe would be much much better to live with as a daily driver taking fuel consumption, servicing costs and depreciation into account.

I would pick the Santa Fe over the Territory if you're only towing a handful of times a year. If towing every second day, then the Territory would be the better of the two.

horses7, Sep 2, 12:27am
We purchased a new Territory Titanium diesel and love it,looked at Santa Fe but with only 2 ton towing just didn't cut it,have found the Territory very comfortable with excellent handling and ride,easily the best in its class and you wouldn't know you were diving a diesel its so quiet,also find it easy to park in town with a great lock and reversing camera

gman35, Sep 2, 12:54am
(Petrol) Territory's drive great, have not driven a Sante Fe but would bet that they have typical Korean "numb" steering and chassis.
With the Terry however, 1) the fuel consumption would get tiresome if you are driving mainly around town, but hey it is a large 4wd vehicle and would it actually be much worse $$$-wise when just on the open road towing in a higher gear if not on hills all the time etc ?.
2) it sounds like it is purely a lottery as to how well any particular Aussie car is built from one to the next, or whether you will have suspension or rust issues according to those in the know with Territory's.
Reviews have said the 2.7 Diesel does have some initial lag issues which would drive me insane (roundabouts etc). The updated 3.0 engine that went into the Land Rover Discovery is apparently great and should have been put in at least the current updated model.

serf407, Sep 2, 12:57am
The journo gives the Terry a bit of a pasting on a rock climb in this.
https://youtu.be/ysWFFOOjcHI When the Terry is out of warranty you could give it a lift with a chip. Probably drive more than one Terry - might be a turbo fault. http://www.chipexpress.com/products/3392/ (Ford Territory) http://www.chipmydiesel.com.au/products/diesel-chip-tuning/hyundai/santa-fe-crdi/629.html

bwg11, Sep 2, 2:12am
Agree with most of this. My neighbour has just sold a 2013 Sante Fe, which in his words, he, "hated with a passion". Tried to nail him down to specifics, but couldn't really, other than flimsy, plasticy and bland. He replaced it with a run-out Hilux SR5 and is smiling on both sides of his face.

I drove the Sante Fe more than once, it did go fairly well, was totally bland, and had vague handling. Didn't do anything particularly poorly or anything particularly well. An appliance which would make a Corolla almost exciting.

On the other hand, I like the way petrol Territorys drive. Never driven a diesel, but as gman35 says, the 3.0 litre version as used in the Disco 4 is a superb motor, so I would have expected the diesel to be good.

monaro17, Sep 2, 2:28am
The territory just seems to have too many possible issues. The dual zone heater flap still gives expensive trouble, the screens sometimes pack a sad, the turbo lag seems unsolved (jag etc apparently noticed it early and switched to the twin turbo setup.)

Tailgates seem to cause issues. Just niggly expensive issues.

shorebee, Sep 2, 7:11am
ml350 cdi

serf407, Sep 2, 7:24am
Would you get a quality used Ford Ranger until the 2nd gen Everest turns up in a few years time with the first gen things sorted out?
https://youtu.be/t9FLRTLSuAM (Ford Everest)

gunhand, Sep 2, 7:42am
Hell yea for the Everest, did ya see all that off road work? WOW, serious stuff that. I mean did ya see how deep that water was, I was holding my breath thinking it just wouldn't make it. And that off road dirt track with those huge rocks. just made it look all so easy. I was mostly impressed with it sitting on the grass though.
Interior was nice, for something that will never get dirty.

monaro17, Sep 2, 8:13am
No not a ute, the wife thinks (quite correctly I might add) that is just too big for our needs

lusty9, Sep 2, 8:19am
I've had all 5 models of the Ford over the 10yrs and have never had any problems with them, no mechanical issues nothing. I had to step down from the turbo I6 and go to the diesel which only has 4x4 if I had it my way I would have the same turbo 4x4 in the SZII series (pitty)

dinx, Sep 2, 8:23am
Hmm, never owned either but I know a couple of owners of each, none of them would ever get another Territory or Santa Fe. One of each owned from new or ex-demo and just have constant problems with them and neither do that much regular towing.

xc-coon, Sep 2, 8:24am
We drove both deisels before we bought the santa fe. I was impressed with both. The main reason we rejected the taitainium was because my wife thinks its so dam ugly. And I agree . On a 3 hour trip to Auckland id drive the santafe over our hilux any day but around our block hell id hate the santa fe with a passion too, towing the boat to lake Taupo - santa fe. Towing it to Matauri bay to chuck it off the beach? - gutless but faithfull hilux . Theres plenty of personal preferences make sure u drive as many options as u can. And take advice with a grain of salt.

monaro17, Sep 2, 8:33am
How do you find the diesel territory's turbo lag?

lusty9, Sep 2, 8:37am
its not that much of a life change, heck if life amounts to a bit of turbo lag buy the I6 model.

lusty9, Sep 2, 8:43am
Probably the only issue is not having the full 245kw on tap climbing the Napier/Taupo hills or overtaking. Leave them all behind I tell ya. And if your prepared to pay $50k+ on it then paying for fuel shouldn't be an issue, well it wasn't for me.

franc123, Sep 2, 8:43am
Make sure the water sedimenter system actually works properly if considering a diesel Highanddry, the consequences are expensive if its not. I think on balance evaluating both those options closely I'd still be going Jap if buying outside of warranty.