Hyundai Santa Fe v Toyota Prado Diesels

frostidragon, Jul 27, 2:53am
Anyone know how they match up with towing capabilities , economy etc. Cheers

pandai, Jul 27, 3:02am
They are totally different vehicles which makes it hard to compare - the Santa Fe is a monocoque SUV and the Prado is a body-on-frame 4x4.

Prado is 450kg heavier so would do a better job of controlling a heavier trailer, but the Santa Fe is a better all around car with a much better engine.

Depends what you're towing, really.

brapbrap8, Jul 27, 3:09am
The Santa Fe goes heaps better than the gutless Prado.
How much are you towing?

frostidragon, Jul 27, 3:13am
Six metre boat mostly. Have had an 96 Prado for years which has been great and looking to upgrade at some stage but Prado's pretty expensive

msigg, Jul 27, 3:24am
The Prado is a better vehicle for towing, The Sante Fe is a bit soft in the rear, also the Prado has a low range if needed and a bit higher of the ground. Each to their own, not sure of the tow rating for the Sante fe.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 27, 4:07am
I wouldn't buy either for towing, there are far better vehicles available for that purpose in your price range. I will likely just get shouted down for telling you what I would use though.

monaro17, Jul 27, 4:10am
Santa fe would be the better all round vehicle to use every day and still be good to tow what you have

clark20, Jul 27, 4:38am
No , you would get shouted at for not answering the OPs question, you would be OK if he asked for options.

msigg, Jul 27, 4:44am
You sure these post arn't just to bait the trolls?

johotech, Jul 27, 5:08am
Your crystal ball must be working well today. No one said anything about a price range. But you always seem to know exactly what people should be buying.

3tomany, Jul 27, 5:14am
budget? if high enough I would buy something with sway control

bwg11, Jul 27, 5:32am
If you are not doing huge kms, would you consider a petrol Prado? I had a '96 Prado for years too and tow big boats. I replaced mine with a petrol FJ (same drivetrain as the petrol Prado). 200 kw makes towing a pleasure, bags of power from 1500 rpm to 5500. nothing like the narrow powerband of the new common rail diesels. Year in, year out my fuel consumption is less than 2 litres per 100 km worse than the old Prado (and incidentally, better than the 2.7 TD Terrano the Prado replaced. Try one before you buy.

intrade, Jul 27, 5:53am
96 prado servicing and new diesel servicing is at least 5 times more money on santafe and new toyotas as with older high emission toyota diesel.

72xu-1, Jul 27, 6:18am
Really? Do elaborate, please.

mugenb20b, Jul 27, 7:31am
BS.

mugenb20b, Dec 22, 10:36am
It would be a pretty boring world if everyone drove a Volkswagen.