Seatbelt question

gemini007, Feb 23, 3:24am
DH and I are looking at buying a station wagon - Nissan Stagea BUT we need 3 seatbelts across the back - looks like they all come with a lap belt only in the middle seat - can you have a proper sash belt fitted!Any idea of cost!Also any experience with the Stagea's - both good and bad - comments welcome.Thanks

chook90, Feb 23, 4:01am
Mounting a universal one shouldn't be difficult.

Stageas in general have been ultra reliable from the very early ones right up to current. Several model variants to pick from depending on budget and needs. Great choice.

monsieurl, Feb 23, 4:01am
Wouldn't think so due to a sash belt needing to be mounted on a structural point and on a wagon there wouldn't be one.

gemini007, Feb 23, 4:04am
We currently have a ford falcon s/w and have three sash belts across the back - so what is it mounted to!

gemini007, Feb 23, 4:04am
Thanks, we might have to actually look into it a bit.

andrewph, Feb 23, 4:32am
you should be able to fit a static centre belt. They use the inner anchor points that the 2 lap and diagonals use. remove the lower rear seat cushion and have a look. They may already be there but are not being used and are tucked under the cushion. The lower seat cushion may have 2 clips on the front edge toward the outside that lock it in place. Then its just a matter of removing the bolts and fitting the lap belt if it isnt there and refit the cushion and adjust the length of the belt. Easy as that.

kazbanz, Feb 23, 4:37am
andrew I think you are reading it wrong-the centre belt in a stagia is a lap type belt .
To fit a Lap and diagonal belt will cost around $2500-$3000
The seat back has to be strenthened and the belt has to be able to retract cleanly. The seat then has to be certified as safe

vtecintegra, Feb 23, 4:45am
Yeah its going to be expensive because they never came with a lap/sash option.

Also the transmission tunnel is huge, which makes the centre rear uncomfortable anyway - I'd probably look at other options if you need to carry 4 passengers

franc123, Feb 23, 4:48am
Simply not economically feasible sorry, engineering and cert process is just far too expensive. Look for a car that has one factory fitted.

monsieurl, Feb 23, 4:51am
Exactly. i wouldn't let my kids ride in that seat lol! Some come factory and have strengthened mounting points, most cant just add belts.