Who to contact for road warning signs?

grangies, Mar 16, 8:00pm
I'm keen to have some "children crossing" signs put up near our home. As we are on a very busy State Highyway 10 with 9 young children being collected and dropped off Mon-Fri by the school bus.

I browsed though LTSA and Far North District Council websites but can see anywhere it is mentioned.

daryl14, Mar 16, 8:02pm
I'm pretty sure you will need to bug the council pretty hard for this.

Also if there is no footpath but only grass verge for them to walk along you might get some traction there, too.

wrong2, Mar 16, 8:33pm
making your own would probably be quicker & with less hassle

matthew111, Mar 16, 8:42pm
opus

red97, Mar 16, 9:12pm
i think new zealand safety have a selection of signage

if the bus is dropping off 9 children at one stop that must be close to 20% of the load, it may be worth lobbying the bus company to get the bus to somehow drop the kids off on the other side of the road (U turn, or pull into a side road or whatever works) it may add three or four minutes to the trip but once these things are suggested the manager may be reluctant to be the one that goes on record as saying "no" to the safer alternative. im pretty sure this would come under the "practicable steps" umbrella.

mr-serious, Mar 16, 9:15pm
You can start by calling NZTA. they will let you know the process. Then likely go to a council public meeting with all of your research and homework.

mantagsi, Mar 17, 4:00am
Forget what everyone has told you, in this country none of those techniques will work. What you need to do is wait for a kid to get injured or killed, and then launch an inquiry. Give it another few nasty accidents, that should result in some sort of vague promises, then at least you know you are off to a good start.

In all honesty, good luck, it won't be easy!

daryl14, Mar 17, 4:13am
My parental units lobbied some 30 years ago for a footpath along a 100km/h stretch of road. So it is possible.

meathead_timaru, Mar 17, 4:49am
State highway. NZTA.

andrewph, Mar 17, 7:17am
Get in touch with your local council. The signs come from rtl.co.nz

matarautrader, Mar 17, 7:58am
Write a letter to the FNDC CC it to the NZTA, Road Transport, Police, Road Safety and as many others as you can find. We had success butit took a while. Grangies why dont you just "borrow" that cop car that lives just down the road from you.

grangies, Mar 17, 8:32am
I think "that" cop car is too busy maintaining his garden and playing golf, or dishing out tickets in Taipa for doing 53kph instead of 50kph.

grangies, Mar 17, 8:46am
The bus company/driver alreay does take practicable safety steps. They do pull into a side road at the far end of our property.

And they also do a u turn about 5 k further down the road and drop the kids off on the way back on the opposite side of the highway that live there.

Our part of the highway is on a long sweeping and slightly sloping bend that a lot of vehicles do the full 100kph along, until they have to slam on their brakes when they finally see a school bus that has stopped.

We frequently see cars and trucks slam on their brakes as they approach the bus that has stopped.