Driving without a License

geoff98, Mar 27, 7:59am
Has anybody ever been caught driving without a license! On a scooter or in a car. Interested to know what the penalty would be

lodgelocum, Mar 27, 8:01am
My work colleagues wife got caught recently with an expired drivers licence, had to park the car up, walk home and the fine was $400.00.She was driving her car.

crudeawakening, Mar 27, 8:14am
I know a guy how got caught twice so decided to buy a scooter as NO ONE ever gets pulled over on one of those. wrong! no license long time haha

smac, Mar 27, 8:26am
If you mean just plain 'never had one' or expired, then it's max $1000. Plus 2nd offence they can take your car.

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1998/0110/latest/DLM434636.html!search=ta_act_L_ac%40ainf%40anif_an%40bn%40rn_25_a&p=1

Driving while disqualified etc is different.

mrfxit, Mar 27, 8:07pm
LOL yea pretty darn nutty how they work that out.
Lapselicence = hefty fines etc
Disqualified for drunk/dangerous driving etc = powder puff smack on the hand.
Seen a lot where a licensed driver (who has a known provable ability to drive correctly) make a mistake (intensional or not) / gets disqualified / gets caught for driving& gets clobbered by the court.
BUT
A totally unknown, unproven, untraceable ability driver gets a smack for the same offense.

*driving with no valid licence*

wind.turbine, Mar 28, 1:24am
what do you get if you you have a license but forget to take it!

smac, Mar 28, 1:34am
Worst case scenario, $55 fine. However I think you'd have to fail the attitude test to get that on it's own.more likely to be thrown in with something else you're getting done for as well.