2001ish Kia Rio 1.5 - interference engine or not?

phillip.weston, Mar 25, 1:12am
Hey guys - I know this is probably an answer I should know but I can't seem to find definitive proof on google - some say it is and some say it's not. The car is a 2000/2001 Kia Rio with the 1.5L Mazda engine (I'm unsure if it's SOHC or DOHC at this stage). As far as I know all early Rios before the facelift (2003ish) or the second generation (2006) have the same 1.5L engine across the board, so I guess I just need to do more digging to see if it's SOHC or DOHC.

delmic, Mar 25, 1:18am
heck if Philip Weston doesnt know that only leaves franc or mugen

phillip.weston, Mar 25, 1:21am
seems the engine is a B5 DOHC unit. Something tells me it's going to be interference.

NZTools, Mar 25, 2:09am
Bummer. You wont beable to make a quick grand off it. Lol

phillip.weston, Mar 25, 2:20am
we'll soon see my friend! it's getting delivered to my door this afternoon so should be surprising me after I get home from work. Basically paid scrap value for it. 5 speed and tidy but has done 200+ clicks. I reckon has to be worth $2000+ fixed up!

NZTools, Mar 25, 2:23am
Shouldbe close anyway. Better be careful. You will need a dealers license soon. Lol
Anyway, i better go and chase some more cows. 6 weeks to go.

mm12345, Mar 25, 3:44am
You could be in luck.All Mazda B series engines are supposed to be non-interference.

NZTools, Mar 25, 4:18am
The sohc B series engines are definately non interferance. Ì'm 98.2% sure i've replaced bent valves on dohc B seriesengines in thepast though, althoughit as going back a while.

mm12345, Mar 25, 4:29am
I've had a few, from 323 GTX, more basic DOHC 323s, MX5s, and all were non-interference.Wikipedia isn't a reference I know, but the first paragraph on B series engines states that they're all non-interference.

phillip.weston, Mar 25, 5:06am
yeah the wiki article I read was the first thing I saw, but then other sites suggested the DOHC B5 was indeed interference. I guess I will know when I pull off the rocker cover and check for bent valves.

mm12345, Mar 25, 6:13am
Remember to edit the wiki entry if you find bent valves - or post here, preferably with some photos, and I'll edit it.It should be easy for there to be a database on interference/non-interference engines, someone like Gates should set something up.

phillip.weston, Mar 26, 8:36am
Ok so got the car home, engine spins over freely despite no belt - can turn each cam a full 360deg without hitting anything. I would say I am safe! Will buy new parts tomorrow and hopefully slap it back together shortly.

phillip.weston, Mar 26, 10:18am
also found the engine is an A5D rather than the B5 Mazda engine, it seems to be a derivative of the Mazda engine but is Kia-ised with a different bore/stroke and different cylinder head/manifolds.

intrade, Mar 26, 8:03pm
are you talking australia$ or nz$!

phillip.weston, Mar 26, 10:56pm
I'm in Australia, so AUD$

phillip.weston, Mar 27, 9:22am
x1
ok she is definitely an interference engine :( will pull the head off to investigate the damage and see if I can get away with a replacement cylinder head.