Mitsi Eterna 1991 - dead computer :(

joystik, Mar 26, 7:07am
Just wondering - What sort of job is involved in replacing the dead computer in the above Mitsi!My husband has good mechanical knowledge and is able to fix or repair most things.Any help - much appreciated.Thanks

thunderbolt, Mar 26, 7:40am
How did you diagnose a dead computer!

alan1111, Mar 26, 7:42am
from memory left hand kick panel whole job 10 minutes

crudeawakening, Mar 26, 7:53am
thats right - easy as. May even be able to repair it

bigfatmat1, Mar 26, 8:25am
depends on the extent of the deadness. remove computer open case you will see the damage a couple of caps will of leaked onto board and corroded the circuit board. you can clean the board replace the capacitors. you need a good spray capable of mending the board and stop any tracking from electrolyte that is embedded in the board I use ozone electronic cleaner. refit and if vehicle still does not start the 5v supply will be dead. You can confirm this bu checking for 5v at the coolent temp sensor or tps. in this case the job gets a bit technical unless you have the know how you may need to ship it to anything electronic to get it fixed

bigfatmat1, Mar 26, 8:27am
n.b contact cleaner will not stop tracking or clean bored it will make the problem worse.

phillip.weston, Mar 26, 9:14am
yep I had a '91 Eterna with a dead ECU. Getting harder to find good ECUs these days. Hopefully you can get lucky and replace the caps and fix up any damaged tracks on the circuit board, but if it was anything like mine it was too far gone. What engine does yours have! 1.8 DOHC 4G67 or 2.0 DOHC 4G63! If you give me your chassis number (ie E33A-0038458 etc) I can let you know the part numbers of ECUs you can use, to make it easier ringing around all the wreckers or searching on trademe.

joystik, Mar 26, 9:31am
Thanks - its the 1.8 DOHC.We have got an ECU spare from last time this thing crapped out, and actually, I think from memory, it was you who put me onto it!We put it into a garage to sort it last time and they stung us over 1k for the job.My husband thinks he will have a look at it this time.so might need to pick your brains a little more yet!

joystik, Mar 26, 9:31am
Thanks everyone for your replies and help.Much appreciated.

phillip.weston, Mar 26, 10:15am
the ECU is located to the left of the glove box on the A pillar. You'll want to remove the glove box assembly and the lower trim panel. Two 10mm bolts at the bottom next to the wiring plugs secures it to the pillar itself. Once the plugs are undone and the bolts removed, it should just pull downwards.

trade4us2, Mar 26, 8:39pm
Have a look on the circuit board for cracked solder joints like this:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2dhi2x1.jpg
Cracked solder joints are the main reason why a circuit board fails.

joystik, Mar 26, 9:05pm
Hi Just had a quick look at chassis # E35A-2006407, Engine-4G67.
Looked under Glove box compartment on passengers side, just in front of the front door. Question is am I looking in the right place!Maybe could you drop me mail at nauchart at the extra place.then we will be heading more in the right direction.Thanks

phillip.weston, Mar 26, 11:02pm
Not on that era of Mitsubishi - they are notorious for having the electrolytic capacitors leak and the corrosive liquid then damages the circuit board tracks around it. If you catch it early enough you can replace the capacitors and repair any minor damaged tracks, but often the damage leads to literally blowing up other circuits on the board.

This happened to my E35A Eterna Sava's ECU - http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/te71se/DSCF1781.jpg

phillip.weston, Mar 26, 11:04pm

joystik, Mar 27, 4:02am
Thanks for all that.Put the other one in that we had here and its going good as new again.phew.wasnt ready to spend another grand just yet - more than the cars worth!