3lt SIDI VE Commodore opinions.

attitudedesignz, Mar 24, 5:33am
Looking for opinions on above car as i'm looking at a couple. Her in doors wants a new(er) car and was thinking Mazda 3, then thought she'd actually like a Mazda 6 but we have both kinda decided on a VE. Very similar ratings fuel wise with the Mazda 6.

msigg, Mar 24, 5:42am
x1
Both good cars, mazda 6 will probably hold its value a bit better.

clark20, Mar 24, 5:48am
You're kidding . right!

attitudedesignz, Mar 24, 5:55am
The thing is that i can't see why there's a "premium" on the 6s. For the same money i can either buy an 07-08 Mazda 6 or an 09-10 VE SIDI.

monaro17, Mar 24, 5:58am
the 3L commy would be great assuming you had come from a regular 4cyl car- the power would seem effortless. However if you have come from a big(ger) 6cyl or fast four then the 3L commy is rather pathetic.It lacks torque an is quite unrefined, never-the-less it is still a decent car. As for resale the holden will always be worth more than the mazda

attitudedesignz, Mar 24, 6:14am
We currently have a 01 Toyota Vits RS manual, '97 Toyota Starlet auto' and VR Commodore ute 3.8 manual. Will be keeping the Vits as it's done 270 thou' and there's no resale left in it so may as drive it 'til we kill it.

lazzo, Mar 24, 6:27am
Exactly this, couldn't have been said better.

I don't think the 3L SIDI engine is anything to skite about, very average performance, with your foot hard on the throttle it will make plenty of noise and not alot of action, I've driven many cars with smaller naturally aspirated engines which were more exciting and go harder.

In a direct comparison between this engine in an SV6 against the Ford XR6 Barra 4.0L 6 cylinder I found there to be no competition, the Ford 6 was MUCH more fun, responsive, torquey and aggressive. The Commodore SIDI was noticeably sad under pressure, the 0-100 and the 80-120 sprints were disappointing.

But. If the old girl likes it and its going to see her and her girlfriends right around the shopping centres, buy one.

monaro17, Mar 24, 6:41am
Also- if you are insistent on a commodore then either spend the extra for the 3.6 sidi as it is MUCH better, or go for the previous generation 3.6 in the first of the VE's. Trust me I speak from experience even the base 3.6 omega is (or seems) faster than the 3.0 sidi and in the real world uses as near as makes no difference fuel, it can also tow 2100kg instead of the 1600kg of the 3.0.

franc123, Mar 24, 7:00am
The big question here is how its going to be used, for purely urban use look at the Mazda3, you don't need anything bigger than that, for long distance open road and the odd bit of towing then get the VE, if you're not doing that most of the time you don't need it. The 3.0 will satisfy all but the most demanding of drivers and those who need the torque of the larger engines, who would probably buy a Falcon or a V8 Commie anyway. The Mazda6 is a good allrounder and does everything right but isn't outstandingly economical in any situation or cheap to buy either, there is better value to be had elsewhere in the midsize market IMO, including its technological sibling the Ford Mondeo.

gunhand, Mar 24, 7:03am
I like the lokk of the VEs and thats where it ends for me Im afraid.Even the expensive ones feel cheap and crappy. And remember with late model cars you need the wallet to go with it when something goes wrong. And being a reader of TM MB you will see it happens quite often. And this is just one forum.
My sister inlaws got one and loaths it, she didnt want it either LOL.Not to mention expensive repairs already.
And I will assume your wife is tallish as you can't see where you are in relation to curbs etc if your under 6 foot. Mind you I don't think I looked for seat hight adjustment.
Why do they seem to make cars like this these days, I was in a mazda 3 the other day and same thing.wheres the front gaurd! But I guess you get use to it.

pacificsurfer51, Mar 24, 9:18am
Nothin wrong with ve commodores. They're design for comfort, style & economy. Lacks a lil torque & power in auto mode. However tiptronic in sports mode manually puts youself in control on how you wish to drive.

chook90, Mar 24, 9:54pm
Comparing a 3.0 SIDI Commodore to the earlier 3.6 or even the 4.0 FG Falcon serves no pupose. Holden released the 3.0 for one reason only - economy. I have to wonder if the push for smaller capacity/higher economy in the Commodore is intended to create a clearer division between the guy wanting a large car with economy and those wanting performance (in which case Holden want them in the V8 models)

Realistically the 3.0sidi is not fun, is not "that economical" against a 3.6 or FG Falc driven sensibly and makes little sense.

IS there a premium on the Mazda 6 or is it simply a far superior vehicle! IMO it is the latter.