1,8 1995 Legacy any good?

glyn4, Mar 29, 8:06am
I have a mate at work who has a 4wd legacy for sale with 200k on the clock. Seems OK but just wanted some advice on if these are reliable or any problems! Should I get 300k out of it! He wants $1500 for it. Cheers.

mugenb20b, Mar 29, 8:15am
Will you get 300k out of it! Depends on how much money you want to spend on maintenance. But, if you can get a couple of years of trouble free motoring out of a $1500 car, you've done well.

franc123, Mar 29, 8:56am
depends entirely on how its been maintained and driven in the past, you might get to 300k but may not happen without expense. Manual non turbo Legacies are the best to get if its long term reliability you seek, Subarus do start to give annoying electrical issues in that age bracket, both engine and body, fuel pumps, alternators, airflow meters, cam sensors etc.

thunderbolt, Mar 29, 9:31am
It will be the EJ18 SOHC so will be cheaper to replace the cambelt on, but you would still want to price it up first.
Tensioners,belt and waterpump shpould be done of you are looking to get another 100k out of it

motorboy2011, Mar 29, 7:27pm
as far as I know the ej18 is non interference so if the belt breaks it won't cause any damage, someone correct me of I'm wrong

1rad8, Mar 29, 11:00pm
Check for oil leaks too.My sister had the 1996 Non turbo one and it started leaking oil and to replace the gaskets cost $800.Think the engine had to be removed to do the work.it was a short sad demise after that and her car was always looked after.200,000+ kms on the engine too.
Check everything thoroughly:)

k75, Mar 31, 4:00am
These are pretty gutless and still use a lot of fuel.