Tail Lights not working 1998 Toyota Camry

grazman, Mar 29, 7:12am
just been advised Tail lights not working, but brake lights do - would it be both tail light bulbs gone or possibly a fuse problem - or something else. Need to sort as going away tomorrow.

grangies, Mar 29, 7:15am
Get two tail lights and plug them in to see.

Sometimes automotive lamps can look perfectly fine but they're not.

thunderbolt, Mar 29, 7:17am
Does the Hi stop work!
If it does, then it is most likely both bulbs blown

mugenb20b, Mar 29, 7:17am
Station wagon by any chance! If so check that you don't have broken wires where the loom goes into the tail gate (it's by the right hand hinge from memory).

If your tail lights are not going but number plates are, then you could quite likely have blown bulbs.

grazman, Mar 29, 7:40am
Thanks all - Mugenb20b looks to be on the mark - no tail lights, no number plate light, but all brake lights working (high and low) - will have a better look in the light in the morning to see if any broken wires (though there a large number of wires in the loom. Any lead as to what colour wire(s) I am looking for

thunderbolt, Mar 29, 7:42am
So you have dash lights and front park lamps working!

bae13, Mar 29, 7:52am
toyota is green for tail and green/white for brake(or maybe its the other way round,

do you have dash lights and front park lights! and i mean park lamps not headlamps!
the brake light bulbs are same bulb different filament to tail, so just cos the brake light (brighter one) still goesdoesnt mean the bulbs are ok.

Have you havd a stereo installed recently!

fordluva, Mar 29, 8:07am
My thoughts exactly, check your dash lights if they are out to then it will be the fuse, (same circuit as tail and number plate lights) if you have recently fitted a stereo remove it and disconnect the black wire (earth to the stereo) and connect directly from the stereo to an earthing point on the car (a steel mount on the dash will work if its earthed) do this before replacing the fuse and insulate the black wire coming from the cars loom (this will be an illumination wire, not an earth as is commonly thought), if you havent replaced the stereo there may be another short.

jmma, Mar 29, 8:12am
Also, have you recently had a trailer on, sometimes the trailer wiring can short the fuse.(o:

grazman, Mar 29, 9:01am
Thanks for feedback - Yes its a stationwagon. Dash lights working, but front park, number plate and tail ights not working. Brake lights are working. And yes I am towing a trailer frequently. No haven't changed the Stereo (its the original). So with Front Park and tails and Number plate out - fuse seems to be the likely candidate - whereand how easy to identify which one. Thanks guys for your input - saves me stuffing around in the morning too much.

mugenb20b, Mar 29, 9:14am
Check all fuses with a test light, you can have a look at a few videos on you tube on how to do this.

Or visually check them by removing them one at a time. If you remove a fuse, make sure it goes back in the same place.

bigfatmat1, Mar 29, 10:12am
If using test light to check fuses turn key on and park lights on

granada, Mar 29, 10:17am
and check both sides of the fuse with your test light.

snoopy221, Mar 29, 10:54am
To moi irriot mind.
Dat don't add up.
Unless it has a *sub park light switch*- Which on imports separates the dash lights from the park light dash light circuit.

bigfatmat1, Mar 29, 7:05pm
dash is always illuminated

lookoutas, Mar 29, 8:09pm
You old school snoopy.

I vote fuse
Might need to learn Nippon.

guest, Sep 25, 7:25pm
this time last year I'd bought/made, wrpeapd and even sent most of mine! this year, I've organised some birthday presents, but not really given Christmas a thought (tho S and I probably going to german Christmas street market in town next weekend does that count?!)

guest, Sep 26, 5:30pm
sir i have a problem in my hp weacbm driver i install window 7 but the weacbm drivers a not found any where and my weacbm is not working please suggest solution of my problem i use hp compaq v6000 presario AMD processor please help as soon as posible