Leaking motorbike front suspension.

happylad3, Mar 28, 8:41pm
My brother has a 250 bandit, and recently the front suspension has been leaking quite badly. I know there are places that you can take them to be rebuilt. But how hard would they be to do myself! im pretty confident that I could rebuild them if I had a manual to follow etc.

farwest, Mar 28, 10:52pm
Check that the fork slider chrome is ok before you do anything - rusted chrome can chew up fork seals.
There are a few pictures of fork seal replacement here:
http://hondavt250spada.blogspot.co.nz/2009/01/replacing-fork-seals.html And a general description here: http://www.dansmc.com/forks.htm

danchop, Mar 29, 12:15am
absolute prick of a job

therafter1, Mar 29, 12:31am
As Farwest has said, in many instances a tidy up off the culprit causing the leak can sometimes solve the problem.

On one bike that I had (an 81 GS1000) it developed a seal leak as a consequence of tiny little stone impact points on the fork tube, I cleaned up the dinted area with the wifes nail file followed by some very light rubbing with very fine wet and dry, I then mixed up a little araldite and used that as a filler on the dent, allowed the araldite plenty of time to go nice and hard, then took the surface back to level again with the nail file and fine emery and never ever had another problem with those leaking seals. The action of the forks themselves completed the rest of the job.

I also worked on my following distances unless intending to pass to decrease the possibility of further stone impact damage.

Does the bike have a centre stand ! . I presently have a 98 Bandit that spends more time in the garage than it does on the road. If the bike is left sitting on the side stand for long periods the L/H/S fork seals weeps a small quantity of oil, so I always ensure that if being left for long periods that it is on the centre stand.

kezza46, Mar 29, 1:20am
checkout kiwibiker.co.nz heaps of brains there who can tell you or help

motorboy2011, Mar 29, 7:35am
fork seals leaking,fail wof.

hamishcookie, Mar 29, 7:40am
One of the biggest pains can be undoing the bottom bolt, you usually need a rattle gun to be able to do it, other tricky bit is not damaging the new seal while you hammer it into place. If you want to save some money IMO remove the forks yourself and take them into a bike shop to have the seals done and as mentioned before check for any "pitting" ie dents/marks what have you where the fork runs though the seal.

edited to say do both forks at the same time

happylad3, Mar 29, 7:58am
Yes I know they are a wof fail. That's why I'm looking at getting them rekitted. I've been working as a mechanic for the last year. And qualified engine reconditioner. So I'm mechanically minded. Just not sure the complexity of rebuilding shocks.

hitman45, Mar 29, 1:40pm
Don't worry Ben it's getting a Sirvice on Wednesday

franken1, Mar 29, 4:15pm
Tools required are here. Order from any Repco store.
http://www.tridon.co.nz/Products/default.aspx!SG=30&S=4077