Boat brands? What to buy Advice please?

bloggs28, Apr 1, 9:13am
Hiya, first time boat buyer, can spend around $20,000. prefer fiberglass. would like to know what brands are good and what brands to avoid.

owene, Apr 1, 10:28am
Do you want it to show off like about 90% of boat owners do when they park their big poncy boats in the camping grounds but never use them! Oare you looking for a work horse and what do you intend using it for (fishing, ski-ing, hunting, racing etc)! Have you thought about building one!

haventrader, Apr 1, 6:53pm
Don't run before you've learned to crawl. Boat handling is a skill which only comes with experience. I've seen "new" boat owners take their shiny new craft out in water that a salty dog would run from, only to put themselves and those who dare venture with them, in grave danger. Go get yourself a tinny which is easy to launch and retrieve, low on maintenance and that won't cost the earth to start off with. You will probably find, like ALL boat owners, that you use the boat 10 times a year max - you need to catch a lot of BIG snapper to make back $20k, whereas a tinny of $5k does not hurt as much. Get to understand how a boat works and handles, more importantly, get to understand the sea and weather. Once you're convinced yourself that you know it all, then start looking for the flash $20k boat. You'll get your money back for the tinny.my 2 cents worth.

golfdiver, Apr 1, 7:06pm
A couple of jealous sounding people already, I have spent a lot of time on the water in many types of boats, some glass and some tinnies. If you want to take the ladies out then glass is the way to go. Glass boats are heavier and much softer riding than Aluminium but weigh more on the trailer. To answer your question Haines Hunter have a great hull design with a very soft riding V. Buccaneer, Sea Nymph, Bonito, Fi-Glass are all reputable designs, and in Ali, McClay, Surtees and Ramco are well known brands.The outboard is the major expense and should be checked out by a marine mechanic before purchase or come with a warranty. If buying an older glass hull check for structural integrity in the transom and always do a coastguard course. Good luck and happy boating

klrider, Apr 1, 7:10pm
It really depends on what you want to do, I fish and dive in Wellington, and take the family biscuiting etc. I have a Stabicraft and love it, others would have slightly different uses so would go for glass, or a non pontoon boat.

crashman, Apr 1, 9:05pm
Guessing you're only after fishing! If you're looking for simply coastal cruising then forget the fizzboats and go sail. Let your inner adventurer run wild. Only problem is you'll probably lose your wife if you spend all your time at sea. Aarrrrgh, salty old sea dog.

meathead_timaru, Apr 1, 9:21pm
It seems you forgot to post the nature of the 'problem' to which you alluded.

rsr72, Apr 1, 10:34pm
Like bananas, the best wife is the one on shore.