Holden 202

gizmsme, Apr 1, 8:06am
Have just collected a 79 hz 1 ton that has been in storage for a number of years. On the drive home it used bucket loads of fuel and had next to no performance, on arriving home checked for leaks etc, all seems fine. Plugs are pitch black, choke is off.Can someone tell me what the factory carb was on these units please!

dvince, Apr 1, 8:15am

dvince, Apr 1, 8:25am
But yeah, those things had terrible fuel economy especially if auto and still has the anti-pollution gear fitted.

gizmsme, Apr 1, 8:26am
Thanks heaps.That's what it has so it may just need set up. Ute been sitting for a good many years.Cheers.

jmma, Apr 1, 8:28am
Power valve had a habit of falling out on these, used to refit them and centre punch it to hold it back in place.
Also reset float level.
But if been sitting, probably needs a good service then a good run.

gizmsme, Apr 1, 8:43am
Yea but 98k for $80.No, it doesn't leeklol.

jmma, Apr 1, 8:52am
Did it Idle at all. Stuck needle valve!

gizmsme, Apr 1, 8:55am
Yes it idles but is rough.Not smoking out exhaust at all.I have carb off and will strip it tomorrow. It is the stromberg unit.

sr2, Apr 1, 8:58am
Here's what I would do, presuming the engine has good compression, OK lifters,.etc.
1st, fit the electronic ignition of a "Blue" motor from an early Commodore, it's an easy bolt on number; just Google if you need more info.
2nd; buy and fit a 28/36 or 32/36 Webber carb with either an adapter block or an aftermarket manifold (there are heaps of both out there 2nd hand and cheap). Just don't fit some manky little aftermarket filter, I used to modify the standard pancake filter to fit- most people wont even notice the non standard carb underneath it.
3rd; buy a 2nd hand set of headers and fit (Red motors love them).
4th, and most importantly; find a local tuning guru who knows Webbers and spend a little money on having him tuning the beast. (Haven't a clue who you'd use in Dunedin, in Auck I use Bruce Manon or Webber Specs).
5th; Enjoy the improved fuel economy, easier starting, smother running and the improvement in power delivery while being smug in the knowledge that your Red motor will love you for what you have just done.

jmma, Apr 1, 9:00am
Might have sticky lifters after sitting so long.

gizmsme, Apr 1, 9:03am
Cheers Guys.

beast9, Apr 1, 9:13am
and if your looking for a weber 32/36 dac11 carby i have a good one in my shed that was rebuilt about 2 years ago when last used that i will part with for $60 plus freight

gizmsme, Apr 1, 10:12am
Thanks Ben. I will keep that in mind.Will strip clean and reset old one tomorrow and see how that pans out first.

clark20, Apr 1, 11:21am
Can you post a photo! What colour was it!

extrayda, Apr 1, 11:58am
Remove the 202 for inspection, and while it is out, drop in a 454 BBC!
Economy would be similar to what you are getting at the moment ;-)
Was the fuel fresh! What octane did you fill it with!
Assuming no overheating / oil in the water / water in the oil.

sr2 seems to be on the right track, but I would do some basic servicing first, and at least get it running right:
- Check timing.
If that is out, fix it, and see how it drives.
- New set of plugs.
- New set of leads (unless existing ones look good)
- New dizzy Cap, Rotor, points, condensor (or just swap in the electronic dizzy as suggested above).
- Oil change and filter (wont help it run better, but probably a good idea)
- New fuel filter
- New air filter (unless existing is good)
- Get coil checked

whqqsh, Apr 1, 4:35pm
dunno if it applies to this carb but some old valiants Ive found have had the same issue & usually just the accelerator pump o-ring needs replacing.

snoopy221, Apr 1, 4:54pm
+Jesus holy m udda of Keerist

Yip sr2 is on zee money

Remove the 202 for inspection, and while it is out, drop in a 454 BBC!
Economy would be similar to what you are getting at the moment ;-)

sehhesh extrayda wanna see a 149 give ya 454 a rock!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

snoopy221, Apr 1, 4:58pm
Checks prof- as ya do dunners shyte-LMFAQ sent the odd carbie dowm there-LOL

gizmsme, Apr 1, 8:43pm
Ute is a black 3 owner factory 1 ton. It's been sitting in a garage for a number of years but started and ran up with no unusual noises and just a bit of black smoke, but only for a short time.Don't want to muck around modifying it , would rather get it's own bits sorted. NOT looking for a racing car, just want it for what it is.
Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, even the outrageous ones.

rickroller, Apr 1, 10:18pm
Most of the time, you can pick up a smooth-running 202 for next to nothing. They're always getting ripped out for V8 conversions. Plus, you can drive the donor vehicle beforehand in many cases.