2cheap cars.rough vehicles?

Page 2 / 3
petal_91, Jul 27, 9:46am
Actually snow tyres don't start being really unsafe until the temp exceeds 30C, which is almost never in NZ. They also have superior grip to summer tyres below 7C. There was a media beat up about snow tyres a few years ago but they aren't actually that bad with sufficient tread depth and if all four corners are snows. They aren't going to be as good as good quality summer tyres in the summer of course, but they are better than you'd think and not unsafe as such, otherwise the authorities would have banned them, which of course they have not.

franc123, Jul 27, 9:55am
Sufficient tread depth is the catch though isn't it, problem is the average punter in NZ is simply too ignorant of their condition and use, the buyer may look at the tyres and think yay all good that there's 5 or 6mm on them only to discover at the next WOF they need 4 new ones because they're now below 4.

petal_91, Jul 27, 10:03am
The average punter doesn't check tyre tread depth at all, but fortunately we have 6 month WOFs so that sort of thing is checked for us, or we did, LOL.

tamarillo, Jul 27, 10:13am
Never knew that winter tyres need 4ml. Good to know.
The claim that bugs me is '4 ml tread so only half worn' (assuming 8 ml new). Call me pedantic but if limit is 2 ml they're 2/3 worn with bugger all left.
I do think ads on TM and dealers info sheets should have a box for winter tyres, just to alert buyers so they can at least consider that.

quickbuck, Jul 27, 10:21am
You're not being pedantic at all. it is either a ploy by sellers to play on peoples minds. OR, people genuinely believe that they have just as much motoring left in the tyres as the first "half" of their life.

jason_247, Jul 28, 11:24am
thats true but tyres dont run at air temp.
average running on a rural road would get the tyres to well above 30'c on most trips.

quickbuck, Jul 28, 12:23pm
And I would say closer to 60. I know I run my bike tyres at over 80. mind you they are slicks.

bumfacingdown, Jul 28, 7:56pm
And motorbike tyres always wear out faster in the "second half" of tread

kazbanz, Jul 28, 8:42pm
hang on a minute -WINTER specific tyres are a tyre with a slightly different tread pattern and often a slightly softer compound.
They are safe to use all year round and down to 1.5mm tread.
SNOW tyres look more like cut up offroad tyres. On the side of them it clearly says snow tyres or the word Studless.
They IMO are just downright dangerous if used anywhere other than as intended Ie in temperatures at or close to zero.
I agree that if you drive carefully on them they should be ok. Right up to the point you are forced to do something less than carefull-emergency swerve etc.

stevo2, Aug 20, 5:24am

westwyn, Aug 20, 10:18am
Ha ha. if you know Robbie Baxter, you'll appreciate the urine removal aspect to this one.

floscey, Aug 20, 7:53pm
I had a look at the east tamaki branch . Looking at mazda axelas and others.Worst selection of cars ive seen yet .All poorly presented and in rough condition. Didnt even get into any of them ,they were that bad from the outside.Whoever grooms the cars should try looking for a different job.

kazbanz, Aug 20, 7:55pm
stevo- they are getting millions of dollars worth of free press

stevo2, Aug 21, 5:58am
Yep, but there's free good press and free bad press.

tgray, Aug 21, 8:35am
They told my customer all cars are radiation tested prior to export.
When she asked for the documentation, they said it wasn't available.

kazbanz, Aug 21, 8:38pm
sorry tgray but that's common knowledge. We aren't supplied documentation for it. It either passes therefiore its here -or it fails and the Jap wharfies wont handle it--so it aint.,

tgray, Aug 21, 8:47pm
So are all cars 'radiation tested' Kaz?

kazbanz, Aug 21, 9:00pm
yep they sure are. have been for a couple of years or so.
But again protecting the NZ consumer really is a side effect of whats really happening. The guys on the Wharfs in Japan will not handle any goods that have more than background radiation. so it all gets tested. In the case of a car you would really struggle to get one that failed out of japan. -Because it had already been pinged.

gwimweeper, Aug 21, 9:14pm
Thanks for that. I bought a Jap import Demio 18 months ago and the question subsequently crossed my mind.

Its reassuring to know the answer.

tgray, Aug 21, 9:29pm
Kaz, your a buyer and importer of Japanese cars.
What happens if one of your recent purchases comes up as a fail?
Back through the auction in Japan or 100% loss to you?

kazbanz, Aug 21, 10:06pm
mine never fail. No ego involved here. They get prechecked before bidding and if in doubt I don't bid.

tgray, Aug 22, 12:18am
I mean a radiation test?
I know it probably hasn't happened to you, but it could.

kazbanz, Aug 22, 3:52am
Reard my post ^^^ as mine all get prechecked for radiation. .

bratpack06, Aug 22, 9:58am
Doesn't the name say it all we too bought a car and had it for 2 hrs .Im in the panel beating business and I never seen such a bogged up pile of crap with rust and moisture in a headlamp they refunded us pretty quick.

tgray, Sep 14, 3:02am
Your lucky.
Legally it would be questionable as to your entitlement to a refund.