Hilux tick

j.wisie, Oct 15, 7:44am
My 2000 Hilux 3LT overheated the other day, could of been hot for 5-15minutes before realising, the cause was a crack in the radiator, I have replaced it with a new radiator and the ute is now running good, but there is a constant ticking coming from engine, any ideas to what this could be?

Cheers

intrade, Oct 15, 8:18am
this ticking sound is it there with engine off ? and is the engine running round and smooth. way more discription detail about this is required

j.wisie, Oct 15, 8:24am
Only ticks when engine is on and gets faster with higher revs, sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine. Other than the tapping the truck is running fine

3tomany, Oct 15, 8:33am
Tick tick tick mmmmmm na just taking the p! ss. what happened to my hilux? It then blew the repaired radiator to pieces. The cause cracked head. What relevance this has for you I have no idea just sayin

mrcat1, Oct 15, 8:36am
Just another bomb waiting to explode.

jmma, Oct 15, 8:41am
Checked the oil level? Nice and black is it.

ml6989, Oct 15, 9:31am
Is this a 5L 3 litre engine or a 3L 2.8 litre? Assuming it is one or the other, can you alter the sound by cracking each injector pipe and narrowing it down to a paticular cylinder. I have had experience of a similar noise, and it turned out to be excessive big end bearing clearence allowing the piston to clout the valves, hence the 'ticking' sound. Would be interested to hear the outcome.

snoopy221, Oct 15, 9:38am
x1
Cold be exhaust manifold gasket leak.

intrade, Oct 15, 9:40am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-WPbEoF_Y4
that is most likely a big end noise
do what post 7 said if this is your noise

intrade, Oct 15, 9:44am
and this most likely valve train problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8dVGxDXCnk

tweake, Oct 15, 11:14am
if i remember right a loose precup can make a tick noise.

if its been overheated then theres a good chance the head is now cracked.

bjmh, Oct 15, 7:43pm
Is yours a 1KZTE engine. have a look on the build plate.

j.wisie, Oct 15, 7:50pm
Yup it's the 1kz engine

bjmh, Oct 15, 8:04pm
If the temperature gauge is not going through the roof etc ,check the exhaust manifold gasket. like snoopy said. could be that the heat has warped the manifold and you now have a slight leak.There are heaps of other major things that cause ticks in hilux engines,but check the basics first.

tamarillo, Oct 15, 8:09pm
Or simply fan interference, when radiator put in something is not right?

tweake, Oct 16, 5:40am
the big problem is the temp gauges are idiot gauges. they read normal and "to late its stuffed".
they show the same thing regardless of temps. so if its actually gone up then its actually overheated. many people have had them totally overheat without the gauge moving from the normal reading.
guys normally modify the factory gauge or fit an aftermarket gauge.

start budgeting for a cracked head.

ml6989, Feb 4, 10:21am
#16 The temp gauge is only useful if the cooling system is full. Once the sender unit is surrounded by air then it becomes useless. A correctly working gauge will show a rise of 2 or 3 degrees c if the operator is alert and monitoring it. Having said that, the 1KZ engine will not usually stand an overheat.