Petrol versus Diesel

Page 1 / 2
kam04, Jul 22, 2:04am
Never owned a diesel vehicle as a domestic vehicle. For some reason never appealed to me. Those who have owned both diesel and petrol what is your opinion and preference. How do they compare maintenance, servicing and performance wise. Just seen in a car yard a Jeep Cherokee LTD 2.7 diesel 2011.

brapbrap8, Jul 22, 2:22am
A decent european diesel like the Jeep uses offers better economy, power and in my opinion is nicer to drive than similar petrol engines.
Not too much difference for servicing costs, as diesels usually need servicing less often than the petrol version.

Both people I know who own late model Jeeps really regret buying them though, they seem to be poorly built and give heaps of problems.

skull, Jul 22, 2:34am
We have a 2014 Diesel Ford Kuga, my first ever diesel and I'm well pleased with the economy and performance. It will almost certainly be replaced with another one.

kam04, Jul 22, 2:55am
Do you know what sort of problems they are having?

tweake, Jul 22, 4:34am
what economy you get from the diesel tends to be taken away by the tax.
servicing costs are generally more, and repairs are generally more expensive. common rail injection in particular is extremely expensive to repair.
for general running around petrols tend to be cheaper overall.
where diesels tend to shine is heavy loads. if your towing or carting gear around diesels are the way to go.

kam04, Jul 22, 4:41am
At what km's do diesels go to before major work is expected to be carried out. I know, just like petrols, it depends on how hard the engine is worked but I'm talking the vehicle only being used for general use like a car would be, no heavy towing.

sanders4, Jul 22, 4:49am
I have a 1990 Nissan terrano, service costs are $139 3 times a year at AA for oil and filter and another $55 every 2 years for air and diesel filter. This vehicle uses about 12 liters per 100ks and is solid and reliable - 2 alternator faults - torque converter failure on auto trans in 15 years so very cheap to run considering I have towed boats and caravans.

sanders4, Jul 22, 4:50am
Forgot to mention - 270,000 ks and twice around NZ so far!

kam04, Jul 22, 5:03am
What is the current price of diesel / litre

tweake, Jul 22, 5:13am
now to put that into perspective.

the terrano has a commercial engine (i assume its TD series). so a lot more reliable than any other small diesel engine you will find.
air filter and diesel fuel filter should be done 12 months or even less depending on conditions. rural aera probably changing air filter every 6 months. $55 sounds way to cheap for the two filters.
those engines can get away with cheap oil that more modern diesels can't use.
injectors are meant to be serviced every 100,000km's probably around $400 or plus removal and install for each time.
which is whole lot cheaper than replacing common rail injectors.

basically a poorly serviced but nearly indestructible diesel, is not a good example of a typical light diesel you will find. most are not that reliable or cheap and easy to maintain.

intrade, Jul 22, 5:57am
does yours have adblue DEF etc urea exhaust fluid?

skull, Jul 22, 6:01am
No it has no additives that I have ever been told about. Service intervals are 20k or annually, if they have adblue and it lasts longer than 20k maybe they would top it up at service. I believe the engine is Peugeot.

msigg, Jul 22, 6:11am
Diesel is the way to go for that vehicle, great low down power, easy driving, they don't mind heavy work, the diesels like some hard graft, Each to their own , overall running cost will be similar so depends what you think when you go for a test drive. Love them. Do it.

intrade, Jul 22, 6:13am
check it in the manual because if you have adblue you can do short trip drives it as the adblue is cleaning the dpf if it runs out you will see a warning light to urge you to get to refill it. Some have it in the trunk as americans call it and if you have not seen it the other place is next to the diesel filler. And why would a ford engine be a peugeot ? they have duratorque diesel made by ford , who told you it was a peugeot?
i want to know how that is supposed to be.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Kuga

mottly, Jul 22, 6:14am
According to mechanics, unless you are doing a massive mileage, diesel isn't worth it. With Ruc, extra service costs and higher regos. I use them at work, way prefer my 6cyl petrol for hard work, loads if grunt and just nicer to drive all round

gsimpson, Jul 22, 6:23am
Diesels do not like short runs and the thermal cycling involved. We had Hiace petrol and diesel which worked hard but only short runs. The diesels gave a lot of head cracking issues so in that case petrol was better.
For someone like a courier where the engine is hot all day the diesel is better.

kevymtnz, Jul 22, 6:29am
Diesel! you will find out after 200k which was better

skull, Jul 22, 6:45am
Read that whole page intrade, it's all there, scroll down until you get to this heading

2005 TDCi (PSA DW Based)

boss_hogg, Jul 22, 7:53am
We have a 2014 diesel Mondeo, we've just clocked up 65,000 kms. Very happy with it. Avg 6.3l per 100km.

bert37, Jul 22, 8:36am
yea na my wife does 90kms per day on quite country roads to work and back some hills but no traffic she had a diesel camry which she done over 200,000kms in we done a lot of home work on to what to replace it with and ened up buying an 08 vw gold tdi,,,, what a car she is getting on average less that 5 L per 100kms even with diesel mileage it is still far cheaper than my sisters Holden cruise 1.4 that gets on the same trip 8.5 on petrol, the vw is a pleasure to drive torque from nothing while the cruise love revs and has to be thrashed to keep up with the vw on hills head to head 30$ a week cheaper and much nicer to drive why do people drive petrol cars!

smalltrader2, Jul 22, 9:04am
Here is the calculator of Diesel vs Petrol.

http://www.transport.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Our-Work/Documents/petrol-vs-diesel-calculator-2015.xls

Take the example of a Mazda CX5 Diesel vs CX5 Petrol. The break even point is about 3 years if you travel an average of 14,000Km/year.

Personally, I think diesel is worth it if you plan to keep your car 5 year or more and travel an average of 14,000km/year or more.In addition, you get a lot more low end torque when compared to petrol engine.

If you mainly travel very short distances then diesel is probably not suitable as a lot of modern diesel has a particulate filter which need a bit of good motorway/highway to work properly.

tweake, Jul 22, 10:47am
that doesn't include maintenance or vehicle cost.

kam04, Jul 22, 9:27pm
Was around 29k and 145,000km

666steve, Jul 24, 9:32pm

kam04, Jul 25, 12:02am
wow a lot of bad comments but I suppose if we chose another make of vehicle we would probably find bad comments there too. Thanks for the link, interesting reading.