Ugly cars

Page 2 / 2
brapbrap8, Oct 22, 7:28pm
Anything from Ssang Yong.
Just about anything Korean at all really.
I guess they try and make them interesting to look at to distract you from how dreary they are to drive.

cleggyboy, Oct 22, 7:38pm
Worst I have seen is the Nissan snail car. Grooooossss!

lk104, Oct 22, 8:24pm
Ford Ka. Seriously ugly
Toyota Will

brapbrap8, Oct 22, 8:51pm
Nissan Cube
Ford Taurus, looks like it has partly melted
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Taurus_(third_generation)

Although I can't judge too much, having several late model Mitsubishi Tritons in our fleet.

richardmayes, Oct 23, 12:53am
At least all of the cars being called out as "ugly" on this thread made an impact and you noticed them!

To me the ugliest design trend of all was the utter UTTER MEDIOCRITY of late 80s to mid 1990s Jappers e.g. Toyota Corona, Mitsubishi Carisma, Mazda Familia, Honda Odyssey etc etc.

No lines, no curves, no signature radiator, or any other distinctive details at all. Just a box, with all the edges and corners rubbed off, in a fairly aimless effort to smooth it out a bit. Like whiteware. Like a half-used-up eraser. A total absence of ANY imagination, flair or design. At least in the early 2000s with the arrival of the wedge-shaped Toyota Celica, and then the first Mazda 6 and the Honda Euro Accord that started at the same time, Jappers suddenly started to look a lot flasher and the designers appeared to gain a bit of confidence in themselves and the new cars of the 2000s started to look a LOT more exciting than the previous generation.

I know AU falcons like mine were almost universally criticised when they came out, but at least they have some sort of shape, with a few deliberate lines curves and edges drawn in by somebody who had a plan. Whereas the preceding EL was never unpopular, but it is just the 1990s Japper "box with the edges rubbed off" style on a larger scale.

(Mind you, I might be a bit odd among coon owners in that I actually LIKE looking out through that low curved AU windscreen, down the low curving bonnet that has a crease line up the middle of it, and curved guards that sit up higher than the bonnet, I sometimes pretend I'm driving a Jaguar instead of a stationwagon. )

trogedon, Oct 23, 2:50am
They're SUPPOSED to be - that's why businesses that WANT to be noticed use them.

marte, Oct 24, 12:27pm
I liked the Corrina mk3-4-5 .
I owned a couple of MK4's, probably 4 if you count spare parts.
They had the coke bottle style that's in the 72 Dodge/Plymouth.

But I owned a Nissan leopard 2dr and own a Vanguard Beetleback.

Both are acquired tastes.

sifty, Oct 24, 6:26pm
The Pontiac Aztek is ugly from every angle.
They gave them out as prizes on a series of Survivor, people joked that the second place getter got two of them.

They are currently going through a collectable retro-cool stage thanks to Walter White driving one in Breaking Bad.

topseycat, Oct 24, 7:14pm
What about the 1985 to about 1993 Mustang?

djrandomguy, Oct 24, 9:47pm
this is why I struggle to understand why people insist on passing us on highway trips, the back or our Peugeot is going to be better looking than most other cars you'll sit behind, why not just sit behind us and soak in the ambience

jmma, Oct 25, 4:02am

pf, Oct 25, 7:49am
juke beats it .

poppy62, Oct 25, 8:35am
Fantastic looking car Especially in Red or Yellow. Might be one for the Mrs. How are you mate? all good I hope.

tamarillo, Oct 25, 9:11am
Love it! Different, functional, very light,

archereon, Oct 25, 9:21am
I cant stand 2cv's. Citroen, you owe the world an apology for that.
And suv's

mooy, Oct 27, 7:47am
I own a Volvo 88 360 GL It is an ugly car but I love to drive it. It is in mint condition with 90K kms on the clock.

tamarillo, Oct 27, 9:16am
Crikey haven't seen one f those alive for a while. They were reasonably quick little cars in their day I recall, and capable of big mileage too. Yeah kinda ugly, but not all that bad.
My xc70 is the later horbury design, I call it the hipster with its huge. Hips. Purposeful I'd say.
Thing is these volvos aren't bland nasty design black holes. Attractive not, but properly ugly, nah.
BMW X6. Now that's pointless tasteless and ugly.

tamarillo, Oct 27, 9:18am
Latter, oh I agree.
Former, no! But admit that they would be useless things on our roads. Still, better than a beetle.

zak410, Oct 27, 10:25am

javlin, Oct 28, 7:21pm
The Citroen Ami is seriously ugly as is the H van.

javlin, Oct 28, 7:26pm
1990 Chrysler Imperial and Le Baron are incredibly ugly.

yz490, Oct 30, 9:36pm
how far back do we go? Isuzu Bellett 1968-ish. So ugly i had to have 4 at once lol. Great little car. Even put 25-8-12 quad tyres on suzuki ST90 van std width rims one--spread out like a big foot at low pressure for around the farm & just 'wouldn't get stuck'. Renault Dauphine's [spelling] another that comes to mind! .

tamarillo, Oct 30, 10:49pm
Bugger, I quite liked the bellet and even the dauphine which was much better in flesh than pictures but I owned one and is was a great wee car compared with the A35 I had before.

New Lexus SUV - it is as if several designers were given a bit each and told to make their bit prominent and strong. Way to many things happening on its exterior. Yuk.
http://www.lexus.com/models/NX

But then every single SUV made is a monstrosity.

timmo1, Dec 12, 4:15pm
Oh but they do! Every country makes its fair share of boring three box appliance cars (including Japan) but they are responsible for some pretty bold designs!