Ugly cars

Page 1 / 2
tamarillo, Oct 22, 2:59am
I just had to endure whole minutes behind an offence to aesthetic senses so great I had to launch my inbuilt bazoka to destroy this blot on the landscape.
Importers, please have some sensitivity to our visual environment.
NO MORE NISSAN PRARIE JOY's or anything thing like it! This was a beautiful country.

dublo, Oct 22, 3:17am
Agreed - bring back the days of beautiful cars designed by Italian stylists!
We seem to be going through a period of having cars with ever-smaller windows, aggressive front-end styling and uncoordinated lines. Nissan seems to be the worst, especially with its Juke (Joke?) which must have been designed by a committee with no chairman: large, round lamps mounted low at the front, surmounted by crocodile-eye slits for lamps on the top of the wings, and swage lines running everywhere except where they should. I have given specific instructions not to be seen dead in one of these.

Our 1998-2002 NZ-new Accord may be blandly styled and come from the same computer programme as Toyota and Mazda and other offerings of the period, but at least it is pleasant to look at and the windows are deep enough to give good visibility in all directions!

kazbanz, Oct 22, 3:56am
says he driving a VOLVO --I mean REALY?

gunhand, Oct 22, 4:18am
We had a nissan prairie joy, 1998 one. May not have been the fastest thing on wheels, but man was it practicable in soooo many ways. And as for looks, have seen far worse but sometimes practicable wins over looks. Not all of us need to have an orgasm every time we get behind the wheel.
I lent it out a few times to friends etc who had to transport people and they all said it was good to drive and quite comfy.
I miss it for it's sensibility actually.

socram, Oct 22, 4:29am
Nothing wrong with a Volvo! They may have been likened to a brick built outdoor dunny at one stage, but one of the relatively few vehicles I'd seriously consider moving to if my love affair with BL/Rover/MG/Mini/Land Rover evaporates.

tamarillo, Oct 22, 4:32am
Ah ha! You're distracting tactic leads me to wonder at your guilty! Imported a few shockers?

tamarillo, Oct 22, 4:34am
No no no. practicality doesn't excuse senseless ugliness! It's not as if things like this are even interesting in their ugliness (like the Citroen ami estate I once loved).

kazbanz, Oct 22, 4:52am
You're missing the point mate. Old Volvo's are solid. Old Volvo's are reliable,Old Volvo's are safe.--But equally old Volvo's are freakin ugly.
So for a Volvo driver to complain about the looks of other cars is the kettle calling the pot black.

stevo2, Oct 22, 5:42am
To my mind, theres no doubt the Europeans, especially the Iltalians, make some bloody nice looking cars (ok maybe not Fiat).
It must cost a similar amount to build a car that looks like an Alfa 159 as it does a Nissan Sylphy (disregarding anything thats under the sheetmetal) so why dont the Asian designers have any flair or style?

kazbanz, Oct 22, 5:49am
stevo-My wife loves me and thinks Im really good looking.
Same applies with cars. some people genuinely LOVE quirky cars.

nightboss, Oct 22, 5:50am
Back to bagging ugly cars . . .

Toyota FunCargo.

pf, Oct 22, 5:57am
Nissan Juke .

pebbles61, Oct 22, 6:00am
+1 for the Juke, it's a slight against God.

ambo11, Oct 22, 6:04am
Early 90s Ford Festivas, any Cortinas except Mk 2, Nissan Jukes and Holden Trax. mobile piles of vomit.

daryl14, Oct 22, 6:14am
All the Japanese vomit mobiles seem to be styled after their version of equally vomit inducing cartoons. They think they're all cute.

3tomany, Oct 22, 6:18am
yea i never got that my wife is gorgeous, dunno what she sees in me maybe i am just a nice guy LOL. so i guess looks really are subjective.

meow_mix, Oct 22, 6:53am
As someone who appreciates a good looking sedan/wagon, I always thought the VW Passat released in 1996 was a very ugly car. Very boxy and functional around the rear, horrible looking glasshouse with vertical C-pillars which are sloped on just about every other car. Boring "Germanic" headlights with a dull finish when other cars featured projector lights etc. Crap boring taillights.

The "facelifted" model wasn't much better, and this heap of sh*t was sold right into the 2000s, complete with "Altezza" style round taillights and tinted glass on that awful glasshouse.

When VW finally decided to create an all-new replacement model, they addressed some of these issues, and in my opinion the newer model looked quite Japanese.

sifty, Oct 22, 7:32am
Jeez the Mk2 was a bland box compared to the stylish Mks 1 and 3.

poppy62, Oct 22, 7:44am
Hi Pot! Kettle here, this is like a Volvo I drive.

http://www.motorstown.com/imgs/35489-volvo-1800s-7.html

mugenb20b, Oct 22, 7:55am
Yeah, we should have more Multiplas on our roads instead.

poppy62, Oct 22, 8:38am
Italian Masterpiece! it's the Picasso of the car world. Actually I like the looks of them, certainly a head turner with different opinions.

franc123, Oct 22, 9:11am
I don't think the Cortina would have progressively increased its market share throughout the 70's, become top seller overall in the market and remain there until it was retired AND be very popular as a used car for years afterwards if Ford kept screwing up the styling of it. AU Falcon and Taurus for sure, but not the Mk3-4-5 Cortina. The others are fair comment, but there must be people wanting Jukes if they are being imported used from Japan now.

ambo11, Oct 22, 5:44pm
Yeah fair enough, but to me personally I think most Cortinas are revolting. Everyone has different tastes. I think the Nissan March could also be included in this group, and for sure the Honda Insight. my god.

ntalke, Oct 22, 6:19pm
The Ssangyong Stavic would have to be the all time ugly vehicle

Wonder what went through their minds when buying one

tamarillo, Oct 22, 7:19pm
Ah yes jackpot on that one. Though at least it was meant to be controversial and it was interesting. Same as fiat multipla and Nissan Juke. At least they create some drama. These jap boxes just look like grey lumps of unstyled metal.
Though yes it isn't only japs who are guilty. Early Volvo XC90 and BMW X5 have similar bland ugly styling.
Though not the mighty xc70 I hasten to add!