Alternative Spark Plug for 4G64 GDI Engine

2pennies, Apr 16, 8:59am
Howdy out there folk, is there an alternative spark plug to the NGK BKR6EKUC for the 4g64 GDI 2.4 engine
Any ideas out there

jason_247, Apr 16, 9:08am
bkr6e is the single prong equivalent. which should be fine for that engine.
as the standard one is twin prong they dont give a gap.
personally i would and have used the bkr6e-11 which is a 1.1mm gap.

supercheap should have the bkr6e-11 for about $7.50 each.
bkr6ekuc for about $12 each
and the uber bkr6eix iridium for about $39 each.

snoopy221, Apr 16, 9:34am
bcpr6ey-11 end of

franc123, Apr 16, 10:12am
Why are you looking for an alternative? Use the correct one or a cross referenced equivalent.

floscey, Apr 16, 7:28pm
the bkr6ekuc is a long twin electrode plug , most other plugs dont have the length . The 4g64 gdi need all the help it can get , use the right plug. I have seen them use k20txr denso but they are short and the spark wont be in the correct position , but it still ran ok ( for a gdi mitsi) .

intrade, Apr 16, 9:27pm
a interesting point floscey

Gdi is a direct injector fuel gets injected in to the combustion chamber You dont want a sparkplug to be blowen out by fuelspray because its the incorrect powerfull one or one that is just getting wet from the spray due to incorrect lenght.
This is not a technical discription its a comic animation description to try and make you picture why you dont want to use a wrong plug .
older engines inject fuel in to the intake on to closed valves , so they dont blow out the candles in the engine.
worn injectors on gdi "could"" also blow out your light . i dont want arguments about this this is just a comic analogy paint the comic in your head your self its all what could happen on a direct injector.

intrade, Apr 16, 9:48pm
if it helps you sleep better a toyota camry 5s-fe i think it was . engine also has special plugs and NO alternative, a few years ago when i had to get new plugs and looked for alternative 110$ i payd for these plugs and a set of cheap plugs would have been 27$ the cheap ones would need to be changed about 4 times so add it up plus the labour a mechanic charges to change em = more then the expensive looking plugs and these expensive ones just got cheaper then the cheap ones right there.

2pennies, Apr 17, 9:14am
No worries will stay with the OEM plugs

franc123, Apr 17, 9:24am
Have a look around the web for the right NGK plug, remember there ARE alternative sources overseas if you get quoted silly prices for long life plugs in NZ.

edangus, Mar 6, 12:59pm
For gods sake use the standard plugs. You are just asking for trouble otherwise. Trust me - its a Mitsui thing.