Kia Sportage - opinions

bsj02, Nov 16, 8:02am
I am looking at buying an 2005 Kia Sportage 2.7l v6, having never had anything to do with this make of car does anyone have any opinion on whether they are reliable/good cars please? Has anyone owned one?

db.price, Nov 16, 9:25am
Kia are good cars generally now. Though their car prior to the new styling were a little underwealming from a tech point of view.

bsj02, Nov 16, 6:39pm
Thanks, i think 2005 is the first year of the newer styling

vtecintegra, Nov 16, 6:46pm
2010 was when the model worth buying was released - the earlier one was still very 'old' Hyundai before they became a truely competitive manufacturer.

intrade, Nov 16, 8:54pm
old hyundais where mitsubishi clones quite wiered how most manufacturer mix mach and clone and rebadge things every last manufacturer has some crossover rebadge or clone product at some stage , no purity any more you always have to reasearch a product fully one year it might be a mitsi clone the next year there own product. Or then there is mazda whom seem to make cars from what ever component was cheap the week they made the car especially on 90s mazdas brake pads on 626 capella with 1986 subaru rear pads .
now i know that vtecintegra usually just takes the oposite opinion i dont know why but i guess just for argumenting so i wont reply to any comments , i have only seen one time where we did a gree on things nitpicking and argumenting seems to be a hobby, anyhow no offence but i am not entering arguments , research has to be done by poster one them selfs wikipedia usually is quite good for information overview.

db.price, Nov 16, 9:39pm
No that is one of the older types but still newer than the REALLY bad sportage model. My sister has a older Sorento and they like it.

Certainly the older Kias were Mitsubishi clones which had galant and v3000 engines and running gear. However Kia since the late 90s and early 2000s make their own engines etc. Since Shrayer (prob wrong spelling but the guy they stole from Audi) they make some great looking and running cars. Especially the new Sportage and the Optima. Hell we have a Picanto (new shape) and love it.

tamarillo, Nov 17, 3:48am
By 2005 Kia had nought to do with mitsi, instead this share platform with Hyundai (who own it and share platforms and mechanics).
By 2005 they were making good solid vehicles. Not flashy, or very desirable, but reliable.
This is the second generation larger model. Kinda tubby styling.
I'd guess that the V6 petrol would be thirsty, same engine as Hyundai Sonata V6.

alfa13, Nov 17, 5:43am
Kia are excellent we have owned several - currently have 4 in my immediate family - can't fault

bsj02, Oct 10, 4:34pm
Thats great ,thanks for your opinions