Advice on owning a stolen car

Page 2 / 2
loobey1, Oct 18, 7:01am
Seriously people, I. dear old mum. was just asking for advice, son saved his arse off to buy this car with cash, yes guilty of skid. Wasn't caught by police skidding all over town, a resident rang it in, cops showed up, son admitted to it straight away, car was straight away impounded for 28 days, knowing that loss of traction is a mandatory 6month loss of licence he decides to sell car once it is returned. None of which is relevant to the situation we are now in.
Sargeant who has been dealing with the car suggested we ask our insurance company about it. Won't hear back from insurance company till Monday so came on here hoping that someone might actually have some good advice.
Not asking for sympathy, not hiding anything, it is as simple as it is, we checked on carjam before car was purchased, insured the car straight away, everything seemed legit.

2get1, Oct 18, 7:07am
get a grip chief I wasn't laughing at her situation I was laughing at my last comment that every kid with a pink stickered car would want to claim insurance as a write off, talk about take something the wrong way and jump to conculsions and down someones throat, go you. dick

kazbanz, Oct 18, 8:00am
loooby -PLEASE answer my specific questions. I do this stuff for a living.
so I do know what im talking about.

loobey1, Oct 18, 8:13am
Kazbanz. Car in impound for loss of traction.
Police have removed rego label and number plates, we now have the car back
Police returned car as they cannot identify the car, vin? number on vehicle had been stitched in, the current plates have been on vehicle since 2009, so I guess the paper trail ends there?
Waiting to talk to insurance company on Monday, Sargeant just advised vtnz won't recertify as no history on vehicle, so car only good for selling as parts or a drift car.

loobey1, Oct 18, 8:15am
No chassis number does not match this car, same make and model but not 100% correct. This is why it hasn't been picked up till now
Sorry I don't know the terminology and can't get my head around any of it

loobey1, Oct 18, 8:17am
Nothing on car has been registered as stolen, it's just been changed

gunhand, Oct 18, 8:32am
And who did he buy the car off? if it was a dealer there "could" be some comeback? Someone is responsible for your situation by doing something in the past to make a dodgy car. Mind you if cops can't find out who you may be pushing crap up hill. But odds are they won't be that interested anyway.
And don't worry, everyone on here would have and prob still does the odd skid, it's just "they" haven't been caught.
And I know adults who have been, and car gone for 28 days.

loobey1, Oct 18, 8:41am
Thanks gunhand, am trying to only listen to helpful comments on here, vehicle was bought from friend. and no way was he aware of cars history either.
How we got here is irrelevant, it's trying to sort it all out and me as a parent trying to do the best I can

gunhand, Oct 18, 8:55am
You will always get critics no matter what. For sure he shouldn't be doin skids but if you can find me someone (male mostly) who hasn't done a skid then I will eat my tires. A skid is no different than any other rule that is broken but many try and justify rule breaking anyway. The consequences for different actions vary tho, from the extreme to bugger all.
And many will think the back story to ho you got here is important. Advice can only really be givin by knowing all the facts. There are some very knowledgeable people on here who can help.
You would be surprised, or not, how a story can change once the blanks are fllled in.
I don't see why the car can't be re certified myself, but you do need a correct history and tags as a rule. I know people who have lost tags during rebuilds and have almost ended up with $50000 plus lumps of steal that can only be raced or looked at.
A learning experience for all I feel.
Some learn and move on and some just bumble on and blame everyone else for their downfall.
As I said, be interesting to hear an outcome from this. It could be easy or a bureaucratic nightmare.

kazbanz, Oct 18, 11:05pm
Ok Loobey-for a starter ignore the comment from the Police.
Im NOT in any way anti the Police but its not what they do.
Now lets forget about HOW you came to be in this mess -stuff happens.
BUT you do need to do some detective work.
First place to visit is your sons friend. Make it clear he isn't in any trouble.
You need to find the person HE bought the car from.
Then possibly the person HE bought the car from.
Basicly what you need is to establish legitimacy for the car one way or another.
One possibility is that the car was stolen and someone was having a go at changing its identity. If THAT can be proven --Police reports 7 years old etc then you have a strong case for a restamp of the numbers on the firewall -new VIN plate and getting the plates back.
If at some stage the car was "written off" with no insurance then the owner at the time may well have bought a body and swapped the VIN tag.
The problem with that is that ALL other components of a car can be changed but the body is legally speaking the car.
The way round that is to trace the body back. Find out when it was deregistered.You can then with the correct paperwork jump forwards from that point to today. So as long as that body isn't currently of interest to the police or a finance company then the whole car ID could be changed and the car recompiled.
Sorry if this sounds like gobbledeegoop.
In plain English -Iether you need to prove the whole car is legit OR prove the BODY is legit and go through the whole revin process.

kazbanz, Oct 18, 11:07pm
Ohh and re insurance claim--Sorry but I don't think so-if anything the insurer is more likely to cancel the policy as its at this point NOT a legitimate/road legal car in any way.

skin1235, Oct 18, 11:20pm
I'd go one further and say the insurance company should refund all premiums paid, plus interest
It not a blame game and they did not knowingly take the premiums fraudulently but as Kaz says the car does not legally exist in the current form which is what they insured but they will not help in any way now they know it is not legit - they should refund all monies paid

loobey1, Oct 19, 12:25am
Thanks Kazbanz, will see how we get on, being the car itisim thinking it's had many owners :(

fordcrzy, Oct 19, 1:06am
ITS A LOST CAUSE. your son just learned a valuble lesson. the car he has in his possesion is either stolen or a "stand in" car for another car that had the plates and was crashed. my bet it's a stolen car thats had plates from a crashed one stitched on. theres no way to prove a VIN from that car so your toast really. about his only option is to sell it to someone as a Drift/racecar project. Skyline and cefiros are about the dodgiest cars out there, i doubt theres many left that havent been stolen at some stage.

mr_lovebug, Oct 19, 1:20am
Just read a part of the thread.

I know a car that went for re-vin but failed due to hidden repair.

I wonder if this car in question has a old accident that was fixed but covered up and under the strip down it was found and needs to be cert'd as all good (cost of $600 plus the re-vin cost).

Been looking at a car that needs a re-vin and looked at all.

fordcrzy, Oct 19, 2:33am
^^ it's had its vin stitched on to the chassis from another car so the actual identity of the car is unknown. probably stolen

kazbanz, Oct 19, 3:27am
I disagree dude. If you can establish a paper trail and can establish no interest in the shell then you have a good chance-BUT then it comes down to How much recomply will cost

fordcrzy, Oct 19, 3:52am
a paper trail to what? the paper trail only exists on the plates and rego from the (cough) "legit" car identity that has been held by the cops. the shell has no I.D or paper trail it has no VIN at all.

supernova2, Oct 19, 5:16am
As I understand the process you have to prove the identity of the shell. So if the correct factory numbers have been removed you are simply up the creek with no paddle. As the factory number is gone that explains why the Police are not able to trace it back. That also would explain why VTNZ have refused to certify the car - they simply can not do that without proof of identity of the shell.
As for insurance pay out i cant think why they would. They insure against accidental loss. I don't think finding out an item is stolen can be classified as accidental loss.
At present I think your son now just has a large pile of scrap on his hands. The only way to recoup anything is to sell for parts. Even a scrap dealer should refuse to take it as it now has no identity.
BUT you say the plates were changed in 2009. If they were changed then what was the previous plate number?
In olden days getting a set of plates for a "crooked" car was a pretty simple process, I cant remember when the system changed to what it is now.

On the other side of the coin I'd be asking the Police for proof that the car is in fact stolen. If, in fact, it was recomplied (rather than just new plates) in 2009 then it should have passed all the appropriate checks and is therefore a legit vehicle now. If however the police can prove that the plates were not actually issued to your sons car well then yes it is stolen and therefore a pile of junk. Did the police remove the vin plate as well as the rego plates?

Hope that helps

2sheddies, Oct 19, 5:43am
I tend to agree with fordcrzy. It reads to me like an expensive learning experience and given the faffing around and further expense you might incur trying to get to the bottom of it. is the car worth the drama and effort? I think I'd be inclined to cut my losses, scrap the thing, get back whatever you can, chalk it up to experience and move on with another legitimate vehicle, don't do any more skids and such, and hopefully have better luck next time.

jmma, Oct 19, 5:59am
"As for insurance pay out i cant think why they would. They insure against accidental loss."

Hang on, what if your car gets stolen and not found, surely that is a Loo not accidental.
Is this case not a Loss as well?

nzmax, Oct 19, 6:14am
From what I have read so far, VTNZ have not refused to recomply or certify the car, it was the Police Sergeant who told OP that VTNZ wont do it, as per last sentence in post #30. Until OP visits or talks to VTNZ to find out if this is true or not, then the comment by the Police Sergeant is just a guess.

supernova2, Oct 19, 6:16am
But in this case the boy still has the car. So as far as the physical item goes noting has been lost, or damaged. So logically he has no claim against his insurance that I can think of.

Extracting the urine - maybe the Police stole the plates so he could claim for the value of them - probably less than his excess.

mrfxit, Jan 23, 12:07am
Of course he could always buy another shell of the same model & swap the need parts over.
Should be a few around with blown engines/trans/diffs & pranged fronts