South Island Road Trip New Year

howie69, Jul 19, 1:14am
G/F and I looking at motorcycle road trip round the Island after Christmas. Thinking of taking tent and camping some of the way but current tent is past it. We are two up so space is an issue. Any suggestions on a good tent guys would be appreciated.

muzz67, Jul 19, 1:26am
I just use a cheapo wharehouse type. Folds up smallish, not too heavy, goes up easy. Did I mention its cheap?

evopaul, Jul 19, 4:12am
Ive done the same with a 2 person dome type tent,3 piece collapsible fiberglass poles, attached floor and a ''fly'' over the top. Very light , rolls up quite small and quick erection which your G/F will appreciate

mack77, Jul 19, 6:36am
Be aware that cheap tents are not usually strong tents, so are not likely to stay up in windy conditions.

mack77, Jul 19, 6:40am
Two good routes that I love are 1. the Molesworth road (when DOC open it to the public) and 2. my favourite, which is the road into Skippers Canyon; but only the passenger should look at the scenery whilst travelling on this road.

bwg11, Jul 19, 6:53am
But only if you are on a "dual-purpose" or "adventure" type bike. Skippers in particular would just be hard work 2-up on a sport bike.

mack77, Jul 19, 9:13am
Yes, very true. I may have wrongly assumed that the OP had a suitable bike for roads like the ones I mentioned.

bwg11, Jul 19, 9:17am
Great roads though on the right bike, even include the Rainbow on the return trip.

tub4, Jul 20, 2:36am
We've riden the Molesworth Station two up on a Harley Utra Classic along with a couple of other touring bikes it can be done in summer months on road bikes

tub4, Jul 20, 2:47am
We go down to ride the South Island every second year & found cabins are not too bad cost wise & some motor camps rent out caravans as well.
A tip for riding in the South is the roads eat tyre's much faster than the North Island.

howie69, Jul 20, 7:46am
Travling on on a hog, ground clearance is a problem with these roads as have been over them in the past.
But only if you are on a "dual-purpose" or "adventure" type bike. Skippers in particular would just be hard work 2-up on a sport bike.[/quote]

howie69, Jan 20, 9:26am
Yes but travelling at the time we are bookings will be scarce. Wanting to take our time revisiting old haunts will slow us down, but I have six weeks off