Subaru 1.5i 2006: not running right

babyonboardnz, Jul 26, 10:55pm
feels like its running on 3 cylinders and shaking engine at low idle, too new for me, any help with it would be much appreciated, or any ideas where too look for faults, cheers nic

andy61, Jul 26, 11:03pm
Could be worth having the coils tested, dont go replacing everything hoping to solve the problems.

intrade, Jul 27, 10:32pm
first thing i be doing is disable fuel and do a relative compression test with a scantool or better with a oscilloscope, then you can rule a main problem out if all 4 have 98% relative copression if one is below 90% then there is a problem on one of the pots you wont know what one and further testing is required should this be the case .
find somone who works like this as they are the ones who will find the problem fast. takes 5 minutes to do relative compression.

jazzy_drama, Jul 28, 11:42am
Always start with the simple things first, like changing the sparkplugs & checking all the fuses are good.

321mat, Jul 29, 12:07am
A dirty Air Flow Metre is a common problem on all Subarus.

Try cleaning it with some CRC AFM Cleaner, and if it perks up, you've found the problem.
BUT, this solution will probably only be temporary. its best to invest in a new AFM unit.

oldboyjohn, Dec 15, 8:01am
I had a Subaru that was the same. Took it to Winger Subaru, they wanted to replace a number of sensors, around $600.
Took it to The Sub Shop in East Tamaki. They took it for a run, came back and asked what petrol I was running in it. Told them 91 octane.
"There's your problem, they are designed for 96" they said. Cost; nothing.
By the time I had used 2 tank fulls of super it was running correctly.
A bit dearer to fill, but better performance and more mpg.
Maybe worth a try