2005 subaru out back 3.0ltr

wayne1961, Nov 26, 5:05am
Hi all we are thinking about purchasing a 3.0ltr Subaru outback can any one give us the pros and cons

ryanm2, Nov 26, 5:07am
great cars - why not try a year or 2 later (2006 onwards) and get the facelift version with the SI Drive.

brapbrap8, Nov 26, 5:34am
Great cars, loved my one.
Easy to use lots of fuel if you aren't careful, and does cost a little more to service than a smaller car but that is the price you pay for the performance.
Most of them will be imports so will not have much safety equipment unless you can find an NZ new one.

bwg11, Nov 26, 6:22am
My son runs 2 for his staff, both bought second-hand at 50-70 ks three years ago. Both have been trouble free and drive well, if somewhat thirsty. Recommended.

lookoutas, Nov 26, 7:39am
I have a 3H Subaru, and it's a very easy and nice car to drive. Thought my throat was cut the first time I pulled out to overtake after driving 2 ltr turbos for many years. But soon realised that it needed full jandal to make it go, instead of relying on the turbos to do the job.
Still no-where near as grunty as the turbos, but more practical for mother to drive.
Only negative I have is that my one doesn't have Cruise Control, and the electric seat gets a bit painful when it's raining and I'm standing outside waiting for the seat to go back so I can get in without breaking my neck:-)

sport_billy, Nov 26, 8:36am
Good reliable cars. Much improved over the older models and also more reliable over the turbos or 2.5 models.
Not the cheapest on fuel but in no way horrendous. Especially considering the engine size/performance. I had one - wouldn't hesitate to get another but now own a 3.6 later model.

wayne1961, Nov 26, 9:36am
Thanks for the positive feed back people I drove a 3ltr during the weekend and couldn't believe how smooth it was to drive compared to other makes , thought there must be a catch

tamarillo, Nov 26, 7:18pm
Theyre are well thought of, catches are feul consumption, service costs, and check it has decent safety gear on board as imports vary.

lookoutas, Nov 27, 4:28am
A big plus is the cams are chain driven, so no worries about belts braking.
When I was buying mine, I asked zeph, and he told me to watch the waterpumps, but I ignored him and bought one anyway.
So that sounds like it would probably be a good idea to change the cooling system on a regular basis.

wayne1961, Nov 27, 4:34am
Just heard they pop the odd cylinder head , does any one know anything about that

ryanm2, Nov 27, 4:52am
the old , old 2.5 legacy's and outbacks were known for that, sorted by the early 2000's.

sport_billy, Sep 5, 7:28pm
The 4th generation Legacy's/Outbacks (2003 onwards) are much much better vehicles than earlier ones. Not heard of the water pump issue, but yes chain driven and not ever heard of cylinder heads or gaskets being a problem.