"I'm a mechanic" yeah right!

Page 2 / 2
budgel, Apr 15, 9:54pm
A dork is a dork.
There are plenty of amateurs who know lots about cars. Its ones like in the OP who give us amateurs a bad name!

bjmh, Apr 15, 10:20pm
The worst of them we called "Ankles" , 2 inches above a heal & 3 feet below a c%n^

mrfxit ( ha ha brilliant. my mate the painter used to say to them,so you're a bit of a painter. they would reply. yer. mate would mumble"i know which bit ".

grangies, Apr 16, 12:10am
I had someone come into work about a month ago in a real sh1tty mood because his little truck was smashed in the front.

It was a Toyota Dyna, and the front sheet-metal panel below the windscreen was fully munted. AS IN TOTALLY FA$$KED.

He was like "how much, how much?" , and I said I can't say until I price up a new front panel.

Hahahhaha he spat tacks, saying I'm trying to rip him off. So I asked what he'd like me to say, and he told me I should be welding a few tags on it and pulling it out with a slide hammer LOL.

I just closed my quote book, and walked back inside ignoring him, so he drove off in a rage LOL. :)

franc123, Apr 16, 6:01am
No Certs well I think that makes you not a mechanic then doesn't it. That's exactly the sort of thing #21 was driving at. A mechanic is someone who has done a supervised course of training alongside a suitably qualified person in conjunction with industry prescribed study and the training organisation responsible, and proved their abilities to both of them in on job training and whatever exams are needed. and passed. Nothing else.

bumfacingdown, Apr 16, 6:22am
Good thread, mind you there are some car salesmen who also think they are mechanics

mrfxit, Apr 16, 6:25am
LMFAO, yea whatever.
Seen plenty of "book" mechanics that don't even know the difference between an olive & a feral, never mind understand how to work on anything older then 20 years old.
Never mind the compassion or desire to work on the older cars.

mrfxit, Apr 16, 6:27am
If certs were the only thing that makes you a "Mechanic" then most of the old well established country wide franchise workshops wouldn't exist & neither would the apprentices from back then, oddly enough, often employed by garage owners that didn't even finish high school.

daryl14, Apr 16, 6:42am

mrfxit, Apr 16, 9:12am

mrfxit, Apr 16, 9:17am
Many years ago I had a 'book" mechanic fail my 68 Victor for an amazing list of faults.
Took that car through another garage & several other garages over the next 5 years & it was passed without incidence.

Turned out he had just brought himself his 1st brand new car & it was a Camaro.
Apparently only the 2nd car he had ever owned, ( I was on good talking terms with the garage owner).
Met a lot of "book" mechanics like that over the years.

joanie04, Apr 16, 9:30am
My father a mechanic with 60 years experience refers to the "tyre kickers and trust me I'm a mechanic" of this world types, experts. His definition of an "x-spurt" is: x is an unknown quantity and spurt is a drip under pressure. He was not allowed to serve his apprenticeship until he was 21 because of a condition he suffered and ended up doing his last with his younger brother who was doing his first year. Runs in the family the older of my two brothers is also a mechanic with over 30 years experience. A few cousins were / are in the trade as well.

daryl14, Apr 16, 8:18pm
daryl14 wrote:
feral: https://awilli10.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/feral-child-2.jpg

Actually, I think that kid is out of one of the mad max films.

mrfxit, Apr 16, 9:16pm
Correct

bjmh, Apr 16, 10:18pm
I have a framed advanced trade certificate dated 1974 on my office wall,i was always proud to call myself an " A " grade mechanic. Apparently when the motor certification board changed to online records a lot of these paper certs were not included.So I guess it means squat now.

bjmh, Apr 16, 11:33pm
ha ha yep just thinking about a motorised zimmer frame

joanie04, Apr 17, 7:02am
My father has one of those but it's dated 1950 something. My brother never did his A grade so he is only "certified" lol.

tiny15, Apr 19, 5:46am
Don't lose any sleep over it. if she sends this guy out to check out any car shes interested in- then she will still be looking for a car in 5 yrs time. He's just stroking his own ego by finding something wrong with the car.

tgray, Mar 6, 3:41pm
Yeah.
Since sold to a very happy customer after passing her AA inspection.