2010 Falcon fuel filter threads.

bjmh, Feb 15, 8:27pm
I have a BF3 wagon ,trying to change the fuel filter. the problem is the fittings on the in/out pipes. seem to bind up on the last part of the threads.Anyone struck this or ideas.They are like the old brake pipes ,where the flare ends belled out.One just gets to a point where you can't move it.

ntalke, Feb 15, 9:35pm
You need 2 open ended wrenches on each end to crack open

When replacing clean the new joint with WD40 or similar ,align both ends so they freely screw up and don't over tighten

Also to release fuel pressure before replacing,there is a fuse to pull in the engine bay fuse box then turn car over,saves getting fuel spraying everywhere

bjmh, Feb 15, 10:29pm
ntalke . I can get one end right out,the other starts to bind on the last couple of threads . almost like the flare end has swollen. maybe one end has been overtightened.

ntalke, Feb 15, 10:55pm
Have you undone the bracket that holds the filter so it is free moving?

Some have problems changing the filter either removing or stopping leaks after changing
Quite a bit info on the Ford Forums

bjmh, Feb 16, 2:14am
yep the filter turns ok. will check out ford forum. cheers for yr thoughts

mechnificent, Feb 16, 3:35am
OP. You are saying that the threads bind as they are coming out right ? Not bottoming out before they seal the pipe as you wind them in.

If the threads are getting hard to turn, it will probably be dirt and rust near the outer end of the female fitting. A wind back in with oil on the nut and then a bit of in and out should cure it.
The other thing that happens is that the pipe does flare out and get stuck in the threads, but that isn't usually too tight and a good wriggle and pull should get it out. Then you need to gently file a tiny bit off the outer diameter of the flare so it will go back in.

bjmh, Feb 16, 4:02am
yep binding on the way out,threads are clean but I can try lube . its almost like the end of the threaded fitting has belled.Its weird they break away like normal until a couple of threads from coming out. then they bind up.I know what you mean with the outer diameter of the flare,it appears to be the threaded fitting.Doesn't help when fuel is pissing down your arms.I'll try what you guys have suggested.

mechnificent, Feb 16, 4:35am
Oh I see. The nut probably is flared at the end. You know how brake nuts have the bit of untapped at the flare end. They get flared/expended and need filing a tiny bit too sometimes. It will be flared like you say.
Rip it out. The filter's getting biffed and you will have to clean the threads and flared nut or pipe before putting it back in.

Nothing is ever simple !

mechnificent, Jun 15, 1:50pm
And fuel up the arm. Yeah that stinks. especially these days the fuel is real toxic shit.