Road toll

Page 2 / 2
danchop, Oct 27, 2:32am
I would hazard a guess that nearly 10% of the deaths are the result of U turns,a very legal rule with most resulting in more carnage than a straight head on.

phillip.weston, Oct 27, 2:35am
Better driver education, reduce the average age of the cars with incentives to get into something more modern and safer, spend money on the roading infrastructure with more divided highways, more passing lanes etc.

tintop, Oct 27, 2:40am
You can do better than guess - the crash data records since 2000 are available for download in csv form for loading into a spreadsheet. Or even better, into a relational database .

tintop, Oct 27, 2:43am
You can check for yourself - no need to guess.

See #29

phillip.weston, Oct 27, 2:43am
This times a thousand! Well said.

elect70, Oct 27, 2:47am
Excuse - fuel prices have dropped so more cars traveling . Sure cheif plod will have logical & valid reasoning .

elect70, Oct 27, 2:54am
Even new cars with all the acronyms wont save you in a 100kmh +head on impact , which most accidents seem to be , people with poor judgement/driving skill passing , failing to keep left .

gunhand, Oct 27, 3:30am
Does said countries have the type of roading structures as us? You do know how many fatal (accidents full stop) accidents happen on dead straight roads, Quite a bloody few, You could say straight roads are dangerous as you loose concentration due to boredom, but then to many corners and people would fall off those as well, as they do.

I have no real answer but the only persons responsible for road carnage are those who drive, not the police, not the government, not the 90 yo doing 80kph holding you up, unless he crashes into you. He doesn't make you take a stupid risk and pass him when not safe. you did that yourself.

And to those who go with Treat us like Monkeys we will act like one. Maybe it's because we are acting just like a monkeys (no offense to monkeys) and they have to try and stop us killing ours

ema1, Oct 27, 3:57am
Too true, plus treating roads like they are rally courses is rife in NZ too.
Cromwell & Kawerau Gorges in Central Otago are classic examples where this happens.
White lines yellow lines, warning signs and corner speed advisory signs mean SFA to some idiots out there, failure to keep left is rife too, "rubber necking" is also high on the list of inattention to the driving job at hand.
Seeing cars following you come right up close to the rear of your car just because you are being prudent and obeying corner speed advisory signs is plain madness.
e.g. if lead car has to brake heavily for any reason then result is most likely to be a nose to tail accident/crash.
Inattention is rife too, I saw a couple of cars the other day on my way to Christchurch just barrel through road works and over take me into the bargain.
I couldn't get rego plate numbers of them as there was a fair amount of dust being chucked up so much in fact that I had to slow way down to even see where the hell I was going?
Mad maggots I thought, if they came a gutser then it's their damn fault but more often than not some poor innocent sod gets involved with those maggots. pity, often the innocent ones become a statistic I have to say.
I have a great belief in "You're a long time dead so what's the hurry?"
I prefer to die of old age myself. thanks !

socram, Oct 27, 8:03am
As one who is passionate about older cars, forgive me if I don't totally subscribe to the newer cars push. I'd prefer to concentrate on the driver rather than the car, which is only a tool. Guns, knives, chisels, angle grinders, band saws, cars. Its all down to the user. There are very, very few true accidents, possibly limited to mechanical failure or acts of God, such as a landslip/fallen tree.

Where the newer safer car is a boon is probably protection for the innocent rather than the guilty.

ema1, Oct 27, 9:00am
Any car, tool, form of machinery or firearm is only as good/safe as it's operator.
Accidents/ crashes are to an extremely high degree the fault of the human operator. simple as that.
Human failings have a lot to answer for in this world, has been in the past and that ain't about to change in the future unfortunately. sad to say.

tamarillo, Oct 27, 9:05am
Yes some truth in that, it's a vicious spiral down though, and only the treatment authority can break it.

fordcrzy, Oct 27, 10:23am
I watched a near head on crash. three morons involved. the road was straight and wide. moron one was overtaking without enough road in front. moron two who was holding everyone up and failed to realise he was being overtaken and could have moved left. moron three failed to see the car coming toeards him at 200kmh closing speed. the road was about six car widths accross

marte, Oct 27, 11:02am
If alcohols involved with any of those deaths, they don't count.

The person has a alcohol problem, not a driving problem.

jantar, Oct 27, 11:37am
This is indeed one of the causes of an increased crash rate. Anything that causes more vehicles to be on any given section of the road in the same time period will lead to a higher accident rate.
It doesn't really matter whether it is lower fuel costs, a special event, or simply enforced lower traffic speeds that increases the congestion. More vehicles automatically increases the chances of an accident occurring.

martin11, Oct 27, 6:13pm
If you cannot read your speedo with in 5 seconds looking at it something is wrong with either your eyesight or your brain ?

esprit, Oct 27, 6:57pm
This. Also, fatal accidents involving people running from the cops (must be 20 or so each year). Once you make that decision to run from the cops all bets are off. Yes these deaths will be recorded as "speed related" but they're nothing to do with people doing 115km/h on a nice straight, empty road in good conditions, despite what the statistics say.

rak1, Oct 27, 9:27pm
Just an idea and probably a lonely one at that. First two years of a licence should be on a motorcycle only. You would have to have your wits about you if you wanted to survive. If you didnt, tuff cheese. One less unlucky/incompetent drive on the road.

loose.unit8, Oct 27, 9:36pm
Have you been measured?

loose.unit8, Oct 27, 9:37pm
How do you know?

martin11, Oct 27, 9:38pm
A quick glance is all I need , Big pointer and the numbers are easily seen .

purple666, Oct 27, 10:15pm
If you are taking your eyes off the road for 5 seconds it is your brain that has something wrong with it. Although I will admit that with some speedo's I would have trouble reading them if I stared at them for a week.

ema1, Oct 27, 10:24pm
The person with an alcohol problem, IS a driving problem marte and IS a problem to all other road users in the vicinity. .
That is just one of the many human failing problems there are out there.
It can't be denied at all . period.
The person with the alcohol problem is quite frankly more inclined to be suffering from diminished attention span as well as NOT being in control of their faculties let alone be NOT being in control of any vehicle.
Any one killed/maimed due to their actions or lack there of DOES count in my book as a statistic, it's damn stupid to say it doesn't count . surely you were joshing is saying that, if not then the mind boggles as to where you are coming from?

gsimpson, Dec 26, 10:30am
Surely it is about how often you look rather than how long which is what the poster would be suggesting. Perhaps your eyesight and brain need testing?