2015 Mitsubishi Mirage

Page 2 / 2
vtecintegra, Dec 12, 11:09pm
Not in auto though

meow_mix, Dec 13, 2:17am
I walked past a late-model Kia hatchback the other day and was impressed, beautiful panel and paint, sparkly lights etc, looked as well built as a Toyota.

Any brand new car should be pretty reliable these days and will come with a warranty. If you're going to keep the car for many years then I would tend to recommend a Jappa like the Mitsi you were looking at.

datoofairy, Dec 13, 2:57am
It will be getting a proper inspection. The car has only been owned by one person, who has now moved to a retirement home and all the service reports are with the car.
I did briefly consider just doing my car up, but I wanted a change, something a bit newer and different :)

meow_mix, Dec 13, 3:29am
The Mazda is too expensive, costing the same as a brand new Mitsi Mirage, and too old at nearly five years old. Those Mazda 2's are tiny little shopping baskets and are a size down from your Corolla, remember you are thinking of keeping your next car for some time, you might get sick of the Mazda's crampedness and choppy, hard suspension.

There have been some recent Mazdas like the bigger Mazda 6 which have suffered from premature rust and poor build quality. I don't know if these problems affect the 2011 Mazda 2.

For your money you could get a seriously nice car, if it doesn't have to be brand new and you're happy to go second hand, you could look a bit older than the Mazda and buy a proper, larger sedan with roomier interior.

There are so many larger choices you could make, personally I would look at something like a 2008 Toyota Mark X for example. Nothing will ever go wrong with it because it's a Toyota, and you get this beautifully built car like a mini limousine with all the features you could ever want, instead of a tiny little Mazda shopping basket.

You need to re-think about your options and what size of car you need and how old it must be.

bwg11, Dec 13, 3:34am
You couldn't have done better. The Mazda is in a different class to the Mirage, Barina, Picanto and the Punto you had considered. I'm sure you are aware it is no longer a current model, as the current Mazda 2 started late 2014 and was the Automobile Association's small car of the year, just announced last week. I'm sure it will serve you well.

datoofairy, Dec 13, 7:07am
Thank you both for your input.
I dont want, or need a bigger car. Theres only me and my teenager, and the vast majority of the time the car goes to and from work with the occasional trip to the supermarket. I dont need any more space or power and I dont like driving bigger cars. A shopping trolley suits my needs perfectly.
I looked at so many cars today and there really werent that many that fitted both my budget and my needs and wants. There were a couple of Fiesta's that were ok, but they certainly didnt wow me. Maybe I would have had a few more options if I chose to buy privately but I dont want the hassle of trying to sell mine and to then be without a car while I find something else.
I had looked at a similar Mazda 2, a silver one, at another place, but it was older and had higher kms, for the same price. Then I went to look at the blue one I am thinking I will get. When I rang the dealer of the silver one back to say I was no longer interested, he told me the blue one was a great deal, and that they couldnt match it.
I took the blue one for a really long drive, out on the motor way, over hills and along a gravel road. I drove it really fast, I did lots of swerves and sudden braking etc and I was really impressed with how it felt to drive. Its much nicer than my Toyota.
I dont mind that its not the latest model, it'll still be the newest car I've ever owned. Having a latest was never a priority, I just wanted the newest I could get for my money. Likewise for depreciation - my budget doesnt allow for buying the best in that category either.
When I consider quality, reliability, looks and value for money, the Mazda ticks more boxes than anything else I looked at.
If I'm really making a big mistake, especially if the Mazda 2 has safety or reliability issues I should know about, please let me know. But as for it being a granny's car - well, that pretty much sums up my lifestyle :o)

datoofairy, Dec 13, 7:44am
I cant say I even saw one of those anywhere. The Mistubishi dealer didnt have them.

westwyn, Dec 13, 8:30am
You've answered your own question- you like the car! That alone should be all the affirmation you need. The Mazda 2 / Demio is a competent car and the one you're viewing has the bonus of a nice colour and very low mileage. Yes, you could buy a near-new one for more money. Do you want to spend more money?

First-hand experience- a friend of mine (who is not a small man) and I rented a near-new one last year in Japan, we drove the wheels off it over the course of three days- high-speed expressways, mountain roads, urban stop-go, even a snow-covered trip up a (closed) mountain on ice. Our little Mazda handled it all with ease, we were comfortable, room for our bags, got great fuel economy and it sat well on the road.

Nice choice.

woodypc, Jun 22, 9:37am
The Galants are good, the may seem a bit old, but they are reliable, decent sized and a good price.