Strong gas smell in Toyota Camary

jitender.arien, Aug 14, 12:46pm
Hi,

I have a Toyota Camary-2012. Driving it from last 7 months but from last couple of weeks its giving an issue, somekind of strong gas smell which makes suffocation inside the car. At one instance I put all the windows down still i was able to smell that. Last week it was so strong that i wasn't even able to breathe properly. It was still coming even when the AC and heating was off. And its more when I go on high speeds i.e on motorway compared to 50km zone. I fell that i have inhaled a considerable amount of it and also feel dizziness, headaches, irritation in eyes and some pain in the lungs since then.

I took it to Toyota this week for testing and they checked it for a/c gas leak but wasn't able to find any leaks. They cleaned the a/c vents for mould and bacteria. Since then I haven't smelled that amount of gas but still feel something wrong and dont feel well too.

Can someone please suggest something what could be wrong or can be tested or if someone experienced similar.

Thanks

wind.turbine, Aug 14, 6:54pm
exhaust leak?

jmma, Aug 14, 7:40pm
Boot seal not sealing properly.

tamarillo, Aug 14, 7:41pm
Or fuel leak.
With engine running, car stationary, check for leaks under car. Though it can vapourise if leaked onto something hot.

beno, Aug 14, 10:30pm
are you a vegetarian?
but seriously. when you say gas, do you mean petrol or stale milk or rotten eggs?

pandai, Aug 14, 11:46pm
First thing I would do is eyeball the fuel pump - since they are mounted from inside the car it seems like a simple starting point

gman35, Aug 14, 11:50pm
Is this where the saying "Camary in the mine" came from ?

sharchew, Aug 15, 1:41am
Would it not be still under warrenty

kazbanz, Aug 15, 1:58am
what kind of gas smelL? fuel,BO,cigarette,LPG?

jitender.arien, Aug 15, 3:07pm
By Gas I don't mean Petrol and It smells like something burning such as plastic. I didn't smell'd much this week as compared to last when it was really hard to sit in the car.

It's in warranty and I have booked it for full testing with Toyota for next week.

lookoutas, Aug 15, 10:04pm
(o)

kazbanz, Aug 15, 10:13pm
A BURNING smell isn't something to wait till next week over.
Burning is burning.--something is wrong. Return the car till they fix it.
THAT SAID-----I wouldn't mind putting the car on a hoist and looking for a plastic bag stuck to the exhaust system -by now well melted to uit.

intrade, Aug 16, 8:27am
i wonder is the catalist converter is have had a melt down and you smelled the underseal melting from the heat, and now its melted down it wont get hot no more .
obd2
Mode 6 would say monitor failed to complete if its a melted down cat.

haventrader, Aug 16, 8:24pm
Toyota's next recall.

extrayda, Aug 16, 8:29pm
Had exactly that with a Corona. The stink was pretty bad. I ended up getting under it and scraping off as much as I could. Very firmly melted to the exhaust. Lasted for a log time.

kazbanz, Aug 16, 10:39pm
At least Toyota have the bollocks to admit they have an issue. Euro manufacturers need to take a leaf out of that book

jitender.arien, Aug 18, 8:46am
You might be right. it could be a plastic bag or something stuck to the exhaust and melted by now. I drove the car whole weekend and didn't smell anything and is going absolutely fine. Also got it tested by Toyota today and they too can't find anything wrong with it.

Hopefully should go good now.

n Thanks All for giving troubleshooting tips and suggestions.

richardmayes, Sep 27, 9:14am
Cats walking on the bonnet of your car and urinating into the cabin heater air intake can cause a nasty smell.