2001 BMW X5 4WD

kwm30, Mar 25, 6:26am
ditto, everything is underspec for its weight/power, enjoy it costing you an arm and a leg in servicing, esp anything witn more than 180k on tgeh clock

brapbrap8, Mar 25, 6:35am
Lots of vehicles have this issue if its the one I am thinking of.
Easy fix to put a resistor in the wiring loom for the trailer?

tony9, Mar 25, 6:48am
A couple of diodes in series would be better. Standard diodes have about .7 volts drop forward.

thumper2, Apr 16, 12:18am
Greetings! I am looking at purchasing the above vehicle. Its a V8 and has over 200k on the clock. Anyone know how much it would cost to fill? What are the common faults with them? Any info would be greatly appreciated/ Cheers!

vtecintegra, Apr 16, 12:27am
Google suggests the tank is 92l so around $200 I guess.

thumper2, Apr 16, 12:35am
Well, I should have figured to Google it too! DOH! Thanks!

richardmayes, Apr 16, 12:59am
If you're worried about the price of gas, an aging petrol V8 SUV might not be the car for you. ?

alister1, Apr 16, 1:13am
Do not pass any gas stations you mite have to push it to the next one

thumper2, Apr 16, 1:17am
Actually not too concerned about the gas, its a fact of life! Just want to know about all the other garbo!

elect70, Apr 16, 2:04am
Only just run in bet its never been off road except maybe at a wet paddock . Good donk the 4.4 v8

bjmh, Apr 16, 2:38am
manual . be prepared to look at the clutch, could be expensive.
auto. would at least need servicing.Maybe try and get any service records to view.

dr.doolittle, Apr 16, 3:57am
Have you ever seen an X5 V8 manual?

bjmh, Apr 16, 4:12am
ha ha good point I haven't even taken notice of any x5 they way outa my league. just trying to offer a bit of advice,have given myself a verbal lashing. now going to slink off and hide.

bjmh, Apr 16, 4:39am
well gosh look what google came up with.
The manual six-speed transmission system, standard in the BMW X5 3.0i, is calibrated for ideal power at all speeds.

thumper2, Apr 16, 4:45am
I am getting the full service history! Its an auto. Won't be running it off road. Using to tow horse float.

SO not too many negative feedback about the X5

hunter__, Apr 16, 5:41am
If its the 4.4 M62 engine, watch for the vano clatter on start up as it gets oil pressure, some are very noisy for a second or two, so make sure you get to start the wagon from dead cold and see what it sounds like, an other is valve seals, BMW apparently didn't get the material right and they go bad a lot earlier than they should, black sooty exhaust is an indicator.

richardmayes, Apr 16, 9:28pm
If OP can stomach a bit less power, the 3.0 litre 6 is meant to be a good engine though, innit?

horsygirl, Apr 16, 11:32pm
should be more worried about electrical problems than gas.

outingstuff, Apr 17, 8:41am
Only reliable parts on an X5 are the front and rear number plates in my experience. We had one that every time it came in it was $1500 minimum, always something wrong on it. The owner then brought 2007 X5 that wasn't any better on the reliability side.

richard198, Apr 18, 4:13am
Safe, comfortable but unreliable and rubbish offroad.
It'll be great for towing horse float but there are cheaper and more reliable options out there.

zak1998, Apr 18, 4:19am
Tyres are about $700 each on a X5

rsr72, Apr 18, 4:37am
The 2001 X5 model might have the flashing trailer LED syndrome; ie the low 1.2volt bulb fail circuit sets LED trailer lights gently flashing. Not a great problem but Woffers get excited over it and can jump up and down.
Not a simple fix and BMW never want to have anything to do with it.

timbo69, Apr 18, 8:58am
Each to there own, but why would somebody want a old euro v8 with 200km on the clock as a tow wagon? - I would be too scared to drive because i couldn't afford to fix! I guess somebody has to own it!

norts332, Apr 14, 11:57am
OP how did you get on with X5?