Detroit diesel rain water in motor

Page 1 / 2
domaine, Jan 22, 8:42am
Have found that Detroit diesel is seized or locked and possibly by water entering exhaust system.
Is there any product to pour into motor that will assist ?
I can't turn motor over but is difficult getting any spanner on to front of crank.

poppajn, Jan 22, 8:57am
Water is probably sitting on top of the piston's, sound's like take the heads off

mrcat1, Jan 22, 9:10am
What model Jimmy engine is it? And whats it in?

intrade, Jan 22, 9:58am
you have to remove glowplugs or if it has non of these the injectors and squirt engine oil in there and pump the stuff out , you should whatch the hilux on top gear you can see em do that when the hilux was in the sea to get em going again.
water dont compress.

mrcat1, Jan 22, 10:11am
This is quite a lot different than a Hilux, they don't have glow plugs and they have a unit injector operated by the cam shaft so not a easy job, if you have to compare a Jimmy engine to a Hilux engine then you know nothing at all about Jimmy engines, Jimmys are a 2 stroke diesel for a start.

horsygirl, Jan 22, 10:45pm
If its an inline take the air box covers off to work out which cylinder has water in it. If its a V take the exhaust manifolds off to work out which cylinder has water in it. Only take head/s off as a last resort. Remove appropriate injector and flush out. If piston is seized remove head.

purple666, Jan 22, 11:11pm
If it was water wouldn't it turn a little backwards if you tried? Don't know squat about diesels myself so could be miles out.

poppajn, Jan 22, 11:14pm
no, water won't compress

tintop, Jan 23, 1:30am
If you can rotate the crankshaft just a wee bit in either direction so that you can be certain that the rings./cylinder are not seized/rusted up then the sort of thing to try is to arrange a long lever set up to rotate the crank, and weight it so that there is the greatest torque you can arrange on the crank. Piston/rings/cylinder bore are not a perfectly sealed fit - the water will leak down into the sump, or possibly out through the inlet ports.

purple666, Jan 23, 1:47am
And by turning it backwards you wouldn't be trying to compress the water would you?

tintop, Jan 23, 2:59am
Depends if the other cylinders have water in them too.

Its more probable however that if water has entred, the rings and cylinder walls have rusted together.

domaine, Jan 24, 3:03am
Thanks, initially I thought there maybe a motoring product that is heavier than water which could be introduced same way as water got in?
Oil diesel crc all float on water so to get to top of piston to get some lube going
Motor is 3 cyl Detroit in log skidder.C5.

mrcat1, Jan 24, 9:02am
C5 Tree Farmer, they were great small skidders, being a straight 3 you could try removing either the injectors and blowing out the cylinder's with air then putting in oil, or you could try taking off the exhaust manifold and blowing air in thru the exhaust ports, or you could try using a heating torch in thru the exhaust ports and heat up the area and hopefully the water might evaporate then put oil in and slowly turn over to free up. You could try a combination of air and heating together, use a long steel tube to get the air in past the heating torch, that may work well.

bigmuz1, Jan 24, 9:16am
Don't those motors have a blanking off plate on the opposite side of the block to the blower? Could you remove that and blow lubricating oil into the air gallery with a kero gun, you should be able to see the intake ports in the cylinder sleeves so you'd be getting it pretty close to the right area.

mrcat1, Jan 24, 9:29am
I cant remember, I haven't been around a 2 stroke Jimmy in a while now, last time was when I was driving some twin engine scrapers, same engine just with a extra cylinder, if its a 3/71 which is what I'm thinking it is, they came in 1,2,3,4 and 6 and the V-types including six, eight, 12, 16 and 24 cylinders.
I am starting to think it might be easier just to take the rocker cover off and pull the injectors and then it could be spun over to try and blow all the water out and so oil can be put straight done so it can be spun to get oil over the bores.

philltauranga, Jan 24, 10:07am
How long ago was it last running? 2 differnt senarios depending how long its been sitting with water in it.
If water has entered the exhaust and been left so long that it has seized the motor then pouring oil down it and trying to turn it over will risk damaging the piston rings. If it were me I would pull off the head and sand the sleeves down to remove the rust at the minimum, then try unseize it, clean it and new head gasket ect.
Reality is once its seized from water damage it will really need a cylinder sleeve hone job done if you want a useable motor.
Using the piston rings to scrape the rust off the sleeve is hillbilly sh1t and will do more harm to expensive parts that may be salvageable such as the pistons and you might bend a rod trying to unseize it with brute force in the form of a socket and bar.
Its been left to long, if its seized.
If you want it to go again pull it apart, do the bearings while your at it.

Of course if it was running recently and the water has caused it to hydraulic lock then different story, as others above say remove water ect
Ive never tried it, but been told brake fluid it the oil to use.

mrcat1, Jan 24, 10:19am
Hey Phil, hows it going? I'm down at bridge 52 rock breaking those concrete headstocks out from the old bridge, have the first out, half way thru the second from the shore, looks like we will have to lower the staging and I'll have to be craned down on it and break out the 3rd headstock, and has to be done next week.
I agree that its a bit of a rough way to go about getting the water out, but the OP hasn't said how long its been in there though, but may be a while as hasn't rained here in a while now, the best way would be to pull the engine out and strip it and rebuild it saving all the parts that are reusable, well at least he knows some ways to fix the problem now.

philltauranga, Jan 24, 10:23am
Yea I just did a edit the post to clarify that.
What a mission on that bridge, at least there is no reo bar in the concrete aye.

mechnificent, Jan 24, 9:58pm
Hold or jam the exhaust valves open and crank it over, slowly at first by hand, and then with the starter. It will spit the water out.

domaine, Jan 25, 3:12am
Thanks , yes brake fluid is mix able with water.
I'll take head cover off .
Motor siezed I believe for 6 months last owner says.

philltauranga, Jan 25, 7:49pm
6 months is a long time for water to be sitting on the bare steel of the cylinder sleeves. There is a chance its long enough for the rust to eat into the sleeve, which will damage the piston rings if you try to crank the motor over once the water is drained out.
I guess it comes down to what you want to do with it, if you dont want to spend any money on it then it will still go with chipped or even broken piston rings but it wont have much compression, so wont have much power or torque.
If its seized from the water causing hydraulic locking the rust damage may not be to bad and it may go again,
BUT if its seized from rust locking the piston to the sleeve then DONT try to turn it over, as you will probably damage parts that could be reused, if this is how it seized then it will need a cylinder hone job done.

bjmh, Jan 25, 8:06pm
thought it was a Detroit ?

tintop, Jan 26, 1:17am
x1
+1

If the engine has been like that for some time - geven the recent weather it is probable that the water has drained past the rings, but the rings have rusted to the bore.

Turning the engine over in that situation will certainly not cure the problem. If you are wanting a reasonable service from it in the future - get out your spanners and start taking things apart.

mrcat1, Jan 26, 9:59am
Yes, that's about the only thing going for it that there is no reo bar, but I'm getting thru it slowly, I still have to go down to the lay down yard and break up those 36 tonne blocks yet as well.

pdc1, Jan 26, 10:01am
Is quite a common sense answer of mechnificents. They have exhaust valves. You only have to hold one open in each cylinder to stop hydro locking. Would probably be easier than removing the rocker and injector.

I??