Detroit diesel rain water in motor

Page 2 / 2
poppajn, Jan 26, 10:12am
You are so right, your not familiar with the engine.

mechnificent, Jan 26, 8:28pm
He'd be thinking of the blower I'd imagine ?

horsygirl, Jan 26, 10:59pm
But Detroit's don't have head gaskets. never seen so many people offer so much advice on something they no nothing about.

sqidlie, Jan 26, 11:28pm
An old trick for some one that drop their out board over board was to fill the engine with diesel fuel and turn it over, drain and then strip it down
Diesel fuel is hyroscopic and sucks up water, this just maybe enought to get the water "if any " out

mrcat1, Jan 27, 6:05am
Diesel is not hydroscopic, why do you think diesels get the bug?

mrcat1, Jan 27, 6:12am
And that matters how when your trying to get water out of a engine?

poppajn, Jan 27, 7:54am
Early one's did believe me

bwg11, Jan 27, 8:17am
Diesel is hygroscopic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygroscopy

Think this thread takes the prize for mis-information.

philltauranga, Jan 27, 8:25am
Fekn o- rings then if you want to get technical.
Got any other advice to give him, now we know its been sitting for 6 months with water in it?
U reckon that's long enough to damage the sleeves to the point of needing a hone?

mrcat1, Jan 27, 9:02am
So if that's the case, why does diesel sit on top of water in a fuel tank and the bug grow in the air layer between the fuel and water then? And why does a lot if not all diesel engines have a fuel water trap in the fuel system?

sqidlie, Jan 27, 9:15am
Are you for real?

mrcat1, Jan 27, 9:21am
Yes, as most machines have water drains on their fuel tanks and a lot of the new machines have warnings in the cab for the operator to drain the water in the tank daily, as the last thing they need is it to suck thru water into the common rail injection which will stuff the injectors really quickly.

Maybe you should read this information,
http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/media/fuel-news/common-diesel-fuel-problems-3.pdf http://www.oillab.co.nz/diesel_bug_explained

Notice how they talk about the fuel/ water interface.

henderson_guy, Jan 27, 9:29am

snoopy221, Jan 27, 9:59am
Waste of bandwith. hydroscopic,
Hygroscopic?
BRAKE FLUID.

mrcat1, Jan 27, 10:34am
Exactly, it may mix with diesel but will drop out and the fuel will float on top of the water, then it is drained off from the tank, the bug will grow in the layer of air between the water and fuel.
All they are trying to do is push their own products, but even they say that suspending water in fuel can be harmful to common rail systems, easier and simpler to drain the water each morning as required in the operators manual to keep the amount of water in the fuel at a minimum.

ironhorseguy, Jan 28, 10:36am
its a two stoke diesel , take the side covers off an see if u can get some crc into the cylinders an oh have a set of 6 new 71 series liners for sale !

domaine, Jul 17, 12:09pm
Thanks everyone.
We are trying the oil, diesel, brake fluid. And I'll take side covers off and have a look .
My second log skidder f666 has a 6 cyl Cummings , and everyone who hears it remarks what a Grunty superb sounding motor.
The 3/71 Detroit also sounded Grunty too.
So ironhorseguy ? Contact ? Do you have workshop manual as well
And if I remove side cover , do I see the air inlet holes? Or what