Small/Med SUV for oldie

fishb8, Mar 3, 10:35pm
We both retired and got 2006 Rav4 & Honda Jazz. Now thinking of going down to 1 car and like the access height of a SUV.
Will sell Jazz first. We do about 8000 km per car
Any suggestions?

kazbanz, Mar 3, 10:47pm
fishb8 if you are going down to one car and want the height then why not keep the Rav4? Logically its a known quantity
Alternatively if you want something with better fuel economy then the
Daihatsu Bego/Toyota Rush (same vehicle different names)
is a 1500cc two wheel drive with very similar looks to the older Rav 4
Another possibility is the Suzuki SX4 1500 two wheel drive.
That said--if its just ease of access you are looking to gain then I would recommend a fair range of other vehicles which offer good seat height but aren't tall 4x4 types--and as a result are a few thousand cheaper to buy

fishb8, Mar 3, 11:22pm
Cheers for that.
What sort of vehicles have the higher seats?

tamarillo, Mar 3, 11:51pm
What sort of money are you looking to spend, and what sort of driving, do you live in town? Do a bit of long distance?

kam04, Mar 4, 12:06am
Honda CRV 2L, (not a 4WD) we own one. Economical, nice driving. Not quite the get up and go like the 2.4L. This is our 4th CRV . We are in our 60's and find them easy to get in and out of. Similar to your RAV4. As mentioned above, why not keep your RAV

kazbanz, Mar 4, 12:46am
There are a fairly vast range of vehicles with higher seats.
But it does depend on what you are looking to achieve,
Given the rav4 is 2006 what reason have you for not keeping that one?

lissa25, Mar 4, 1:09am
Qashqai, nice and high and look so different that it is harder for the blind drivers to miss you.

serf407, Mar 4, 2:28am
When you go down to one car - you will have to have someone pick you up if the one car breaks down.
Will the 16 000km annual travel distance be put into the remaining vehicle ? likely increasing its maintenance costs etc
Could you share car rides/ costs with other retired people if going to bowls, croquet etc?

tamarillo, Mar 4, 3:32am
Nissan Juke?

lissa25, Mar 4, 3:36am
Good call, better fits the small/med request, and is definitely hard to miss. For a love em or hate em kind of car, I actually like the Juke.

fishb8, Mar 4, 4:33am
I'm thinking a bit more??

msigg, Mar 4, 4:45am
yes tp the Qashqai, excellent vehicle, big seller in he UK, very user friendly.

tamarillo, Mar 4, 5:34am
Most anything can tow a trailer these days, lots of new breed of soft roaders many without any pretence at being off roader which makes them better road cars. Both the nissens are popular for this reason, up high, but basic front drive platform underneath.
Depending on age of your RAV4 you might notice big improvement in newer one.,

kazbanz, May 18, 3:44pm
IMO thats likely your best bet. given the rav is a 2006 and a 2400cc
To be honest purely from the POV of economics I feel thats a solid decision.