Turbo problem? 3.2L Triton

wind.turbine, Dec 23, 9:14am
go so had my triton in for a service 2 weeks ago, after the service I drove it around Whangerei for the rest of the day then it seemed to have no power on the way home. but came right when I was nearly home. about an hours drive, but was low on power again the next day then came right again after that
about 5 days later I had it throw an engine light but was off again the next day so took it back to be checked and the map sensor had set it off and had carbon build up in it, so they cleaned the sensor and all should be fixed.

drove around town again and same thing on the way home, no power, couldn't even pass trucks up hills wheres it normally flys no problem.

Almost feels like the turbo is just not spoiling up.
thinking a sticking waste gate?
can they normally be inconsistent?
And worse after city driving?

budgel, Dec 23, 9:11pm
Have a good look at your vacuum lines for the turbo.

rctr, Dec 24, 4:54am
If it thrown a baro/map sensor code it will either be vacuum hose off manifold to sensor blown out or failed sensor. Both are common.sounds more like hose cause it comes right. Easy fix look on l h side of engine bay you will see a sensor with a blue connector on firewall follow line down to manifold There is a 90 degree hose between manifold and pipe (around dipstick area) replace this hose all should be good

wind.turbine, Dec 24, 7:13am
have just checked the vacuum hoses that go to the sensor, they seem to be free of any build up and don't seem to have any cracks

wind.turbine, Dec 24, 7:55am
also have noticed that the fuel usage has increased

andrewcg53, Dec 24, 8:16am
Most likely the computer had it happen to me and was the computer took it back to the dealer and reprogrammed.

joonjunior, Dec 24, 9:16am

bigfatmat1, Dec 24, 10:02am
Did the clean the carbon. Quite possible it has a code for map sensor because the egr is jammed. Which will give you next to no turbo boost.

wind.turbine, Dec 24, 8:37pm
had the manifold cleaned about 4-5 months ago and replaces the EGR valve shortly after, have pulled the EGR valve back out to check it was not stuck and its fine.

must be something wrong somewhere as it has only just started doing it

budgel, Dec 24, 9:50pm
Take note of your radio code and disconnect the battery overnight. You might get lucky and have the computer re adapt once you reconnect and start up.

wind.turbine, Dec 31, 12:12am
so an update.
had it lose power again today after a pulling out in heavy traffic so had to really put my foot down and straight after I backed throttle off it started surging, felt like brakes were going on and off but differently engine related.
Also no power again all the way home.

Checked to see what the waste gate does when the throttle is opened and run up to 3000RPM and does not move at all, although not sure if its meant to, but did notice when you open it up you get the high wind like noise until its been sitting at 3000rpm for about 3 sec then goes quiet and all you can hear is the engine.

Also cannot move the waste gate by hand at all

skin1235, Dec 31, 12:21am
it probably won't show any sign of moving under those circumstances - its a turbo not a supercharger, it requires load on the engine to get the exhaust gases to the pressure required to open the wastegate
but that wind noise could be pointing to another problem, which could be part of it or all of it, check all gaskets around the air box, turbo and exhaust manifold, that noise could be air escaping, the reason it goes away is because by that time the turbo has actually spooled up and is no longer as much resistance, while it is spooling up it lets air blow out any gasket or gap it can find

this would indicate a leak on the exhaust side, from the head manifold to the turbo

wind.turbine, Dec 31, 12:22am
and to add when I opened the throttle to about 2000rpm the loud wind like noise stayed as long as I held the throttle there

wind.turbine, Dec 31, 1:29am
I have noticed an issue that I never thought of but has come to mind is that it seems that there is an oil leak on the gasket on the output side of the intercooler.

this has been like this for years but thought if it was a problem it would have been picked up at services.

could this be causing an issue?

budgel, Apr 9, 10:23am
If air is escaping from the intercooler, it isnt getting into the engine. Strictly speaking there shouldnt be any oil in the intercooler. It might pay to take it off and have a look. EGR problems could cause that.