Commodore ute

vtec101, Aug 23, 9:12am
Hi there looking at commodore utes interested in the vy - vz utes could somone tell which model is better eg reliability,build quality etc also the difference between the 3.8 and the 3.6 i heard the 3.6 can have timing chain issues. also what to look out for when viewing cheers

xs1100, Aug 23, 9:16am
the 3.8 been around for ever and heaps of mods and upgrades available,the 3.6 newer engine and yes if it hasn't had a good life timing chain can be a issue (servicing) and it will rattle it s head off and most quotes still around 2-2.5k to repair

tatts2, Aug 23, 9:50am
Be interesting to see other post about the utes as i am looking at some as well.

monaro17, Aug 23, 10:02am
VY=3.8L, VZ=3.6L. The VZ was too early for timing chain issues that was the first of the VE models. The 3.8 is as tough as old boots and is one of the most lazy engines around. The VZ version of the 3.6 is louder and imo less refined than the 3.8 and actually doesn't work as well with the 4 speed auto. The 3.8 is actually not too bad on fuel either. However the VZ has the updated interior which although isn't ultra modern does look a little better than the VY based ones.

Reliability isn't an issue with either but especially not with the 3.8.

franc123, Aug 23, 10:17am
Why are you not considering a BA/BF Falcon ute? Legendary properly long lasting and torquey straight six engine, turbo option on XR6 for the brave, better towing, the correct rear axle configuration a ute should have, better load area, option of changing to flatdeck, better standard equipment. No brainer IMO.

monaro17, Aug 23, 10:30am
Yes I agree if you are open to falcon then the BA/BF utes are better

berg, Aug 23, 8:27pm
Had a VZ ute and loved it. Nice ute to drive and I didn't have any mechanical issues. Only sold it because I wasn't using it enough in the end.

davidmoore, Aug 24, 5:48am
get the Falcon

monaro17, Aug 24, 7:49am
well out of those two the silver VZ is the faaaaar better buy

Pay no attention to the official VY fuel ratings stated on the auction they are up the shoot like the VX version and the AU falcon.

mals69, Aug 24, 7:58am
Is the BA/BF sedan better than a VY/VZ sedan ?

monaro17, Aug 24, 7:58am
Yes especially the BF/BFII models with the ZF 6 speed