Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal

kazbanz, Aug 29, 12:53am
Hey matey--How about we place a little wager on it.?
One chokkie fish either way. if it is the brand x franchise dealership they are referring to you owe me. If meoldchina is referring to a non franchise mechanic I owe you

pauldw, Aug 29, 1:10am
Post #3 "We have given the dealership garage (from whence we bought the car) every opportunity to repair it, including replacing the turbocharger, but it has defeated them every time. After 2 years and 2 months and at the point where we were saying we were reaching the end of our tether and were considering rejecting the car, they suggested replacing the entire wiring loom."

Note dealership garage not just garage.

andrew1954, Nov 4, 3:54am
How much input has Ford NZ / HQ had in this ongoing saga. After 2.5 years of trying to fix i would hope that the poor old little Ford dealer in Nelson is getting all the tech support he requires from Ford. I would hope they would have had a "technical boffin" from HQ or a very senior / experienced mechanic from perhaps another dealer ship reviewing the matter. For the sack of several hundred bucks it would be worthwhile getting an expert to fly in and look at it !
After 2.5 years it just not a technical problem it is a PR problem also, and you know how important PR is to these big companies ?

fordcrzy, Nov 4, 5:31am
short trips in a diesel. enough said.

meoldchina, Nov 4, 10:23am
Ford NZ and Ford Australia have both been involved in trying to sort this problem but they have never sent anyone to the dealership to look at the car.
Ford do not know the meaning of Public Relations.
One day I will write a book about my dealings with Ford and their dealers.

kazbanz, Nov 4, 7:42pm
meoldchina- I genuinely feel you need a 1500cc petrol car.
I wish someone could borrow your car and take it to invergiggle or whangarei and back for you. I bet youd get another 6 months trouble free
Im NOT defending Ford in any way,It is my honest opinion.

supernova2, Nov 4, 8:29pm
I agree.

From what OP says it sounds as if almost the entire car has now been replaced bit by bit. IMHO it's highly unlikely that there is a physical fault with the car but the problems are actually due to the pattern of use.

Being cynical perhaps the dealer is at fault for actually selling a Diesel car to a low mileage user. If that can be argued then perhaps the OP is due a full refund even allowing for the 30K he has run up in it. Not fit for purpose provisions dont mention a reduction in value due to whatever use may have been happened before the item is rejected.

elect70, Nov 4, 10:47pm
2.5 years is plenty of time to have resolved the problem . The Worry is the 3 year warranty runs out & owner is stuck with a lemon& will have to get it fixed at own cost . Ford should bite the bullet take it back & give them a new one pay difference between old price & new price or cash refund & take car back . Car owner could take it to court & claim loss of use , distress & refund & general damages . Not a good look for Ford

gazzat22, Nov 4, 11:40pm
A former neighbour of mine had been a mechanic all his life ,Retired at 70 ,worked for a lot of dealerships then went into business himself repairing anything,cars,trucks graders bulldozers etc,had a petrol landcruiser then bought a nissan patrol Gran road petrol because as he said his work , short runs with 0ver a ton of tools would "kill" a diesel so petrol was the only option, agree with Kaz,plus diesel in this country is still poor quality crap and requires very frequent long hot running not just once a month.

kiwitrader43, Nov 6, 11:26pm
Return it to the original dealer to have the wof updated and timing checked.
Get a loan car and then from home request that they sort the other issues as you are going away on a tour of the country.
Next time buy a toyota corolla.
They are a privilege to deal with.
At ford, no one seems to be in charge, or they don't wish to blot their record or lose their bonus.
If you consider the sale of your car by them to you a ' One night stand' their further interest in you is just an annoyance. They are not relationship builders unless you are a fleet purchaser.

kiwitrader43, Nov 6, 11:32pm
I would hate you are being fobbed off because you are a woman.
Best time to go and complain in on a saturday morning when they are busy with the public.
Talk only with the Dealer Principal. Don't waste your time with the service manager.

kiwitrader43, Nov 6, 11:37pm
Years ago I was in Greenlane, Auckland at Team McMillan Ford when an irate customer who was unhappy with a used Fairmont Ghia purchase.
Bob McMillan, the owner just walked with him to the new car yard and gave him a brand new LTD instead, worth thousands more.
Now that is customer service!

kiwitrader43, Nov 6, 11:40pm
Ask the Dealer Principal if this Dodgy Dealer treatment is sanctioned by Ford Head Office, and whether he can deal with it himself, or does he require a directive from FORD?

gazzat22, Nov 7, 12:01am
I woultd threaten them with two words FAIR GO! they may not be perfect and not always correct but couldnt imagine Ford NZ wanting the publicity.

brapbrap8, Nov 7, 12:10am
I have done this before after the paint on my new ute started fading and going patchy soon after I got it and the dealer said it wasn't covered under warranty.
Took it in for another issue and made sure I got another new ute as a courtesy car, then refused to return it unless they fixed the paint.
They got really nasty and even turned up at our office with some heavies (where my vehicles are registered to) to take their ute back, but it was at my house and I didn't tell them where it was.
A couple of months later they finally repaired my ute to my satisfaction, the dealership had to pay for my vehicle to be completely repainted out of their own pocket as the manufacturer refused.

kiwitrader43, Nov 7, 2:38am
You're a bloody legend mate. Good job too.
I told you that devious method produces results. Only way to handle car dealers.

kazbanz, Nov 7, 2:55am
Dude--THAT was theft. I'm surprised the dealer didn't call the cops.

brapbrap8, Nov 7, 3:12am
Probably, and they did threaten to call the cops too but never did.

I do wonder how it would have worked if I had tried the legal route, could argue paint issues are a major fault and not suitable for my use as a company vehicle, with sign writing on it.

Being a business I wouldn't have had the CGA as a back up, and aparently the manufacturers warranty didn't cover paint so it was a bit of a rock and a hard place situation.

kazbanz, Nov 7, 4:07am
I can't imagine that paint failure wouldn't be covered under manufacturers warranty. Given it was a NEW vehicle.
-Unless the failure was on a canopy or a tray not factory supplied I guess--but then that would go back to manufacturer of the after market parts

rpvr, Nov 7, 8:14am
Actually that would be an interesting case. Say a buyer agreed to buy a used car with the proviso that certain small problems were corrected, and one of them is a scrape on the bumper. This gets written into the agreement and is duly done. Then six months later the paint starts crazing in the repainted area. I have seen this happen.

mimik3, Nov 7, 9:05am
Paint is a warrantable item on new cars the last time I looked and has been for the last 20 odd years.

kazbanz, Nov 7, 7:34pm
if it was a respray area then it has to be covered.

zephyrheaven, Nov 7, 8:03pm
before you take it back to Ford PLEASE take it to James Martyn for an accurate diagnosis - Marlborough has only recently had the good fortune of having this brilliant technician move to the area - there is nothing he cannot diagnose or repair so a 2nd opinion would be priceless IMHO

http://prestigeeuroworks.co.nz/

elect70, Nov 14, 12:17am
silly people buying little deisels for commuting , False economy ,dealers should know better .