Petrol in diesel

Page 2 / 3
mrfxit, Aug 24, 8:35am
Somethings not right here.
With the Rav at something like 14L/100kms
120km travelled at smoke stage plus an undisclosed amount of extra kms

So that takes care of (at a guess) 20 litres of fuel & he drained only 10 litres after putting in 25 litres before the trip.

?

yarnic, Aug 24, 8:36am
Or maybe petrol station put diferrent size fillers on oppps they being doing that for years

countrypete, Aug 24, 8:36pm
My 78yo father in law did exactly that on Friday. $80 petrol into his Peugeot turbo diesel. Drove about 100kms and it was idling rough and clattering. We identified the cause and he has checked his insurance, which specifically EXCLUDES engine damage, fuel etc. Goes into the shop today.

kokako14, Aug 25, 1:54am
Can't even get a petrol nozzle onto my diesel car, so hopefully you won't do it to my car when you borrow it.

yz490, Aug 25, 8:09am
put 20 litres or dollars or pounds [can't remember now] of kerosene in my Mk111 zephyr back in the day, stunk like a kero heater only worse. Topped it right up at the next petrol station & it survived. Not a vulnerable diesel though! . Friend filled his Ssanyong wagon people mover thingy [stavic comes to mind] at Turangi just on dusk so pushed it forward to clear pumps & had it picked up & drained the next day--which was lucky he realised straight away.

mrfxit, Aug 25, 8:21am
Theres a very simple single reason why diesels suffer & petrols don't from the wrong fuel.

Petrol engines run an approximate 130psi compression ratio & use a spark to ignite the fuel mixture
Diesel engines start at 450psi & ONLY use sheer compression to fire the mixture. (yes cold assisted by glow plugs for about 2 minutes-ish only & only on some models.

jaymez1, Aug 28, 12:02am
i did a oil change also went to kawhia and back never missed a beat didn't smoke,runs like nothings happened took to mechanic he checked it out said just keep driving it,maybe it has done sum damage an will cark it one day but for now its all good it was a 98 Nissan mistral 174kms on clock it had a sticker on the flap an I didn't see it,

msigg, Aug 28, 5:32am
Good on you jaymez1 chances are there will be nothing else wrong with it, good old Toyota, too many doomers in here.

jmma, Aug 28, 5:34am
Uummm, might be a Nissan? Lol

bjmh, Aug 28, 6:25am
looks like it morphed from a Rav to a Mistral ?

lusty9, Aug 28, 6:38am
now its up and running get rid of it quick smartly. hahaha

ntalke, Aug 28, 6:57am
No he changed the make of vehicle to get shot of it

Does not want it linked to whats gone on

mrfxit, Aug 28, 8:30am
Too late & doesn't really matter, it's got a much shorter lifespan now anyway

msigg, Aug 29, 1:57am
Well even better if its a nissan mistral as it has a mechanical pump so can tolerate slightly more crap than electronic.

mm12345, Aug 29, 2:20am
Very easy to do. ~15 years with my diesel 4WD, I've done it once about 10 years ago, started filling it and woke up fast when I noticed a strong smell of petrol. Only about 10 litres into a nearly empty tank, but pushed it off the forecourt and drained it into the drum they kept at the back of the servo for that purpose - because they said it happens all the time. Mechanic from the workshop was telling me it should be ok with 10l petrol if I'd topped it up with 60 litres of diesel, but agreed that he'd drain it if it was his car.
The pump handles etc are far better marked these days, but despite having a near miss once, I wouldn't claim that I'll not possibly make the same mistake again - nor that anybody else who makes the mistake must be an idiot.
Bugger. Not sure if a "detector" in the tank or filler would work, as although diesel is much less volatile than petrol, a detector probe which could tell the difference between petrol and diesel vapour in time to save your arse might be a bit tricky to make.
Even if they dyed diesel bright pink and had flashing lights and sirens on the bowser, especially if you're used to filling up both diesel and petrol cars, it's an easy mistake to make.

eevee2, Aug 29, 5:56am
Everyone sleepwalks occasionally so maybe incompatible nozzles and tank filler tubes in addition to pump flaps (snigger), etc.?

3tomany, Aug 29, 6:49am
change insurance company mine covered a 11k bill for a common rail fuel system that got contaminated

wotz_it_2_ya, Aug 29, 10:54pm
Got a friend filled his near empty Jeep with petrol. Luckily he notice before starting. Drive line has some kind of lock they couldn't work out, so couldn't move it. Got it 'towed' to dealers. Normal practice apparently is to remove the tank, but it wraps around the driveshaft. Must have removed fuel lins after pump and pumped it out. $850 later, and 5 hrs late to meet the Mrs in a different town.

countrypete, Aug 30, 8:32am
I rang them. They explained to me that the wording my FIL quoted was only there to exclude wear and tear. It is covered, and we are now waiting for prices or the parts. Being euro they will be expensive, of course.

countrypete, Sep 10, 7:54am
Today received a copy of the assessment sent to the insurance company. The car is a 2004 (?) Peugeot 307 diesel that he purchased new and now has 98,000kms. To replace the four injectors, plus fuel pump, the total quote is $9800-odd plus GST. Parts are ex France of course. Why am I not surprised. The car will likely be a write-off.

intrade, Sep 10, 8:01am
why do you think i recommend a diesel fuel additive on every tank of fuel to be added. The damage cost 1000 times what a additive costs to add like chemtech winns edt flashlube or morreys stop-smoke additive.

john1623, Sep 10, 8:11am
No wonder they put petrol in a diesel,they dont know if they have got a Toyota or a Nissan.

countrypete, Sep 10, 9:03am
Good idea, but in this case the insurance will cover it, les the $1,000 xs. Still a very expensive mistake.

noswalg, Sep 10, 7:33pm
Its hard to believe manufacturers can sell cars for what they do when individual parts cost so much. They must be running at a HUGE LOSS, I mean given the cost of the parts above to build an entire engine it would probably cost 10X the cost of the vehicle when it was new.

skiff1, Jul 11, 3:32am
I'm reasonably sure that the car makers are not in business for the love of cars.