VS holden fix it or scrap it.

Page 1 / 2
phalanax, May 11, 6:25am
Think the trans is going. its stuttering in first. stuttering when you floor it from standstill. floor it in 2nd or 3rd its ok. stutters sometimes going uphill. (maybe driveshaft). its got a flag on it for the next wof. damp steering pump (whatever the heck that means. should I junk it or whack in a cheap trans (250=-400 bucks) Ive got a nice Vitz and only use the Holden for towing a trailer or getting rid of rubbish (i once loaded the boot full of clean fill and drove it to the dump muffler dragging on road). lol. its been a good fill it up with rubbish car. but should I trash it and get a ute of some sort or invest in that cheap trans. no rust in the car. havent checked under too see if ive grooved the chasis hauling hard fill. will check back in a few days the most trash it or keep its will decide its fate. lol

franc123, May 11, 6:34am
What sort of ute do you think you are going to get for the price of fixing the known issues with your Holden?

phalanax, May 11, 6:41am
Well Ive always wanted an old ute. something diesel. not a good look shovelling hard fill into the boot or stuffing hedge trimmings into the back and front seats up too headlining height. lol. of course I know im gonna have to fork out more dosh. but an old ute would be more useful. a nice cheap reliable diesel ute would do. so if folk say trash it . I will get a ute. if they say keep it I will do the trans and try and figure out what a damp powersteering pump means. I looked at the pump and its not leaking or using fluid. im wondering if the guy even looked at it. theres also a brake pad replace soon flag on the wof. i checked them theyre about half way (15mm). im thinking its a case of all these model holdens usually need this . lol

dasfi, May 11, 6:46am
What are you wanting for the ute as it is? year and ks? Cheers

phalanax, May 11, 6:50am
Thats just it. I dont have a ute. lol

dasfi, May 11, 6:51am
Lol the wagon then

fordcrzy, May 11, 6:54am
what makes you think its the trans? from your symptoms it sounds like sparkplugs/ignition leads or bad coilpack. stuttering under load doesnt scream trans

phalanax, May 11, 6:56am
Nope, i dont even have a wagon. ive been using a sedan as a ute. lol. its not worth diddly really engines high ks , its got a scruffy interior (from foliage use) it still drives and has wof . but is gonna need some work. will wait and see what the folk here say before I do anything with it most answers by 7pm Friday 15 win

phalanax, May 11, 6:59am
Starts and idles ok. not misfiring. revs without missing. floor it in 3rd and it downchanges without stuttering. just seems to be first gear. although does it in fourth sometimes going up a hill. engines good. runs cool high ks but (340). my thinking is usually if you start changing parts (replace) its not long before something else goes.

a.woodrow, May 11, 7:02am
It could be the lock up in the torque convertor, they often shudder as a symptom. Quite common issue in vr/vs

phalanax, May 11, 7:06am
Ok. at first I thought it might be the driveshaft centre but it seems nice and tight. anyway I will see how the vote goes. These cars are quite dangerous in the wet. too light in the rear. anyone else notice this. I had a ti skyline that also had a light rear but the holden is more fishtaily in the wet. One thing I will say about the VS is that its an Excellent cornerer in the dry ive had a VY and it wasnt as efficient in the dry at cornering. this corners like a hatchback. lol

gusthe1, May 11, 7:11am
A bit of clean fill in the boot fixes that.

phalanax, May 11, 7:14am
lol. yep. all good as long as your not dragging your muffler.

grangies, May 11, 7:16am
Why not keep it as is, and then scrap it when it dies completely?

phalanax, May 11, 7:16am
Is it worth keeping and fixing I guess is the point. will they ever be worth anything?

phalanax, May 11, 7:19am
Yes fair point. it is going . just not reliably. I do have a spare steering rack and set of front axles with good joints and bearings

morrisjvan, May 11, 7:53am
buy a trailer.

kevymtnz, May 11, 8:01am
ill have the tail lights if they in good order (red not white)

gmphil, May 11, 9:24am
change the trans in rock on !

skin1235, May 11, 9:34am
shout it a set of plugs and leads, and a towbar
and buy a trailer as another has pointed out

purple666, May 11, 9:34am
Utes are very handy, especially if you don't have to drive them every day.

dave653, May 12, 11:16pm
CAS, and/or bad leads. Done ours some time ago.

trogedon, May 13, 3:10am
If you only need a trailer for going to the dump occasionally - borrow or hire one. Beats owning something you hardly ever use.

mrfxit, May 13, 5:27am
Mine sites till it's loaded with scrap, (cops might say overloaded), then it's off to the scrappys.
Makes a good clean movable location to store the scrap till it's enough to sell & theres other ways around the reg issue.

phalanax, May 13, 9:36am
Fix it seems to be winning so far. ok im guessing jack the front onto stands and drop it out below , any issues with the twin pipes , i dont want to get into taking the manifolds off the heads as the studs might break. do these have a reliable flex plate ?. Ive done a few trannies before sucessfully just not vs commies. I imagine turbo 350-400s are easier.