And the Kia wins.

tamarillo, Nov 25, 10:18pm

phillip.weston, Nov 25, 11:34pm
I feels the Koreans today are what the Japanese were like in the 70s/80s. I wonder in maybe 20-30 years if that Chinese cars will be better than their other Asian rivals. The ProCeed is definitely a decent car and it did very well taking out the top prize. Kia of today is nothing like Kia of 10+ years ago.

tamarillo, Nov 26, 12:27am
Id say Korean cars WERE like those of Japan in 70/80's but have matured very very quickly and are now on par if not damn close in build quality at least. True they show little innovation but neither has Japan of late.

321mat, Nov 26, 12:52am
Korean cars, and in particular Hyundai, are very dodgey long term, as in Korea they are (all) serviced every 5000km.

The build quality, whilst it may appear good, soon shows it's faults and wayward handling soon becomes the norm as parts wear out far quicker than in other brands.

They are only on a par with early '70's Japanese cars. If that.
The numbers sitting on second-hand car lots testify to their lack of longevity once owners realise what a dray of a car they've bought.

Better value elsewhere.

321mat, Nov 26, 12:56am
AND:

The reason why Korean cars show no real innovation - they essentially copy everything the Europeans and Japanese make - is because Korea is a nation of drones.
They are all taught the same, with no independent thought permitted.
And this is a direct result of the education system, where children are marked only on how well they remember whats written in text books, and nothing else.
And yes, this is SOUTH Korea I'm referring to.

bwg11, Nov 26, 12:57am
Design maybe, but I'll reserve my overall opinion on this until 2025.

gram, Nov 26, 1:22am
Rather uninspiring bunch from what I read in the review. combining all the good points into one car would bring it closer to what you'd expect in 2015.

tamarillo, Nov 26, 2:21am
Really? I'm surprised, and these thoughts don't translate in to stats in customer satisfaction surveys. Hey, I'm committed europhile, so am not defending my own motor!

elect70, Nov 26, 4:42am
Its long term comparisons that matter most . Still gota be better than great wall

brapbrap8, Nov 26, 5:44am
I ride in stacks of Hyundai/Kia vehicles because they seem to be the weapon of choice for stock agents, real estate agents, and everyone else who wants my money.
They always feel really well bolted together, even at higher mileage, and the drivers report little in the way of reliablity problems, other than centre diffs failing on the 4x4 models if all 4 tyres are not replaced at the same time.

Nothing memorable at all as a drivers vehicle, they seem to be aimed at the A to B market, they are a driving appliance like Toyotas.

poppy62, Nov 26, 6:00am
Have a couple of Korean people around the neighbourhood who drive Euros. I asked why not Korean cars?. Only for the poor people/ peasants in (Sth) Korea, well to do only want/drive Euros.

gammelvind, Nov 26, 6:07am
Same as NZ then!

mals69, Nov 26, 6:10am
What would anyone who comes from a lineage of convicts know ?

poppy62, Nov 26, 6:10am
Yep! Class is permanent. It's all beer (Champers) and skittles till the $$$$ run out.

bryshaw, Nov 26, 8:52am
Hasn't Honda got a model in that range?

vtecintegra, Nov 26, 6:24pm
Honda no longer does a warm model - they all have the same 1.8 as the base.

brapbrap8, Sep 7, 7:38pm
And then they jump straight to the mental 2L VTEC turbo Type R.
Might be potential for them to bring out a new SIR or something to fill the gap?