Looking at buying Toyota with 7afe engine

hollyshaw, Apr 21, 12:54am
Hi, im looking at recommending a friend to buy a 1998 Toyota spacio with a 7AFE engine. I haven't had much to do with this engine, are there any common problems with the motor that I need to know about?

Thanks

ema1, Apr 21, 5:06am
Pretty much in the same vein as the ultra reliable 4AFE which is a similar design.
Main difference is the 4AFE 1587cc used a 77mm stroke and the 7AFE 1762cc used a 85.5mm stroke.
Both engines used a 81mm bore, the heads are similar but the injectors and EFI are different and same with camshaft profiles and piston design.
Not exactly or simply a stroked version of the 4AFE it's differences are more in depth than that.
There are swaps eg. versions that have been built up with the wide angle valve 4AGE heads, these do require more than just a simple head swap though the detail of which escapes me right now though I have been involved with that conversion and it proved quite grunty with impressive low down torque still.
I suppose you could loosely call those conversions a "7AGE" ?

7AFE is a good torque at lower RPM but otherwise performs similar to the 4AFE in most regards, I recommend them as a good reliable engine, but regular servicing is the key like with all engines really.
They seem to be more capable of surviving neglect compared to lots of Euro makes of the last couple or so decades.

ema1, Mar 3, 10:50am
contd. Both engines are non interference units that use a cambelt to drive the DOHC camshafts. Cheers