Locking car,getting a spark and a crack sound?

frankenpipe, Oct 29, 1:02am
does anyone know what causes this,when I have been away,turn off the car,go to lock it and putting the key in lets out a bright spark flash and a cracking of electricity sound?

tintop, Oct 29, 1:29am
Static electrical charge. - you may be generating a charge as your clothes brush against the seat upholstery which is discharged when you put the key in the door lock.

Or the whole car may be charged, and as you get out you loose your charge to the ground through your shoes, and then the car is in turn grounded via the key and your feert.

Or .

tintop, Oct 29, 1:30am
Static electrical charge. - you may be generating a charge as your clothes brush against the seat upholstery which is discharged when you put the key in the door lock.

Or the whole car may be charged, and as you get out you loose your charge to the ground through your shoes, and then the car is in turn grounded via the key and your feet.

Or .

gsimpson, Oct 29, 1:57am

lookoutas, Oct 29, 5:53am
If this happens, and it will start happening more from now on, due to wearing jandals.
Make sure to be holding onto a steel part of the car as you get out.
Hand on steel + feet on ground = no more static ergs

darryl, Oct 29, 8:26am
I do that on my ute because I was getting shocks, and I can still feel the discharge through my hand.

bjmh, Oct 29, 6:31pm
they tell me that wearing nylon knickers is also a problem . have you struck that lookoutas since the x =dressing ?

muzz67, Oct 29, 7:13pm
Can you still get 'static straps'?,, strip of black rubber with metal filaments in it which hung under your car and touched the ground when you slowed down to discharge the static.

gsimpson, Oct 30, 12:13am
That's only going to help if the static is in the car body. If you are the one with the charge on your clothing it will not help.

wind.turbine, Oct 30, 12:21am
is this regarding steel fuel cans or plastic as well?
I cannot see how having plastic containers on the back of a ute would be any different to having them on the ground while filling

gsimpson, Oct 30, 1:35am
The static electricity is high voltage. There would be less chance of a spark with a plastic can but there is still the chance. Don't risk it.

gsimpson, Oct 30, 1:40am
From Chevron website

"An approved gasoline container also dissipates static electricity, as long as it is placed on the pavement before filling begins. Leave the can in the trunk or pickup box, however, and it is a different story. A trunk liner, bed mat or bed liner insulates the vehicle from the ground and the static buildup of electricity has nowhere to go. Static buildup occurs and if it releases, the resulting spark can set off the gasoline.

The static comes from the gasoline itself. As the fuel flows through the hose and nozzle, static electricity builds up on the gasoline. This charge takes several seconds to dissipate after the gas is poured into the can. If the can is insulated from ground, the spark cannot dissipate and it builds up until discharge occurs.

According to Chevron, the condition most likely to lead to spark discharge is the filling of a metal container that is placed upon the plastic bedliner of a pickup. In their experiments, this situation resulted in the most fires. They are also quick to point out that while static discharge in metal containers caused the most fires, plastic containers are not immune."

lookoutas, Oct 30, 4:49am
I don't like the way you've got your tongue hanging out!

But the worst part about that "crack sound" as OP mentioned - is when it feels warm.

joanie04, Oct 30, 8:12am
Quite a few years ago the head mechanic at a local Toyota dealership had an older woman come in complaining about getting a shock every time she got out of her car. The first thing he told her was to change her knickers. After she got over the initial shock (pun intended) he explained about the nylon aspect.

bigfatmat1, Oct 30, 8:40am
Could of been worse could of asked if she wore knickers

marte, Oct 30, 1:28pm
Someone mentioned Nylon thread tyres once been we were talking about this happening.
Just wondering if your tyres are nylon belt ones?

daves01, Dec 13, 10:32am
"The static comes from the gasoline itself. As the fuel flows through the hose and nozzle, static electricity builds up on the gasoline"

Yip, this is the case. I've seen it with non approved clear plastic tubing used for diesel. We would be topping up generators around dusk and you could see the static tracking over the tubing. Client supplied and in middle of nowhere so no other options before anyone asks or tells me how wrong we were to be refilling. Only saving grace was that it was diesel rather than petrol