Children in open top 2 seater cars

Page 1 / 2
toppo1, Sep 13, 9:37pm
My daughter who is 4 is mad about my car its a Dixon Sports lotus 7 replica. I can't fit her booster seat into the passenger side.
Whats poeples opinion on kids riding in them, or more importantly how does the law see it if booster seat can't fit but they are still beltet in.
Would only be around town as well

darryl, Sep 13, 9:38pm
No booster, then its illegal afaik

ladatrouble, Sep 13, 9:40pm
Don't do it - she'll be screaming. with delight. She'll be always pestering you to go in the car again, making your life a misery. Kids shouldn't be allowed to have fun in the modern world.

pettal, Sep 13, 10:14pm
Find an old booster seat and alter it to make it fit .

a.woodrow, Sep 13, 10:19pm
Short answer is without a booster seat, not legal till 7 years old.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/factsheets/07/docs/07-child-restraints.pdf

toppo1, Sep 13, 11:15pm
yes trouble with the booster seat is I also recon it makes it less safe, due to the sides of the car not being that high to start with.
Have read the NZTA doc,

kazbanz, Sep 13, 11:25pm
Sorry toppo--as stupid as you and I might think the law is in this situation the law is the law.
You need to find a way to comply with the law in a way that fits the car.
I agree with the posts above.--Buy a booster -Maybee one of the expanded foam type and modify it to fit the car.

quickbuck, Sep 13, 11:36pm
Just to play devils advocate there, wouldn't modifying a booster seat also be illegal?
If your car has a harness rather than a seatbelt, then I would say take her for a ride on a closed road.
The problem as we all know with diagonal belts on smaller people is that it cuts across the neck. A harness most likely will be able to be adjusted so it fits perfectly.

Around town would be the place you are most likely involved in an accident sadly.

toppo1, Sep 14, 12:07am
Yup thought that also re modifying a seat, no harness so looks like will be limited to up and down the driveway still

kazbanz, Sep 14, 12:07am
Quickbuck-Its about being seen to be doing the legal thing.

toppo1, Sep 14, 12:09am
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/410157045.jpg

wont be too far off wanting the keys haha

quickbuck, Sep 14, 12:16am
True. The ol Honest attempt rule ;)

tigertim20, Sep 14, 12:50am
toppo as mentioned - illegal. period.

you can get a variety of different boosters and casets that suit kids of varyng ages.

Baby city behind the meridan mall allow you to take a seat out to your car to test fit, also baby on the move on KV road and the baby factory both carry a reasonable range of seats etc and will also help you out re: fitting.

Ive seen your car and surely there is a model of seat that will fit in it!
good luck, and good on you for getting the young one hooked early.

get them interested in motoring young, and they'll never have money for drugs!

mm12345, Sep 14, 1:16am
Air bags are a potential issue with kids and 2 seaters. Obviously very dangerous with rear-facing baby seat, but even with older kids in a booster seat, it would be better if the airbag could be turned off. US models of 2 seater cars often have a switch to disable passenger side airbags for this reason. You'd want to make sure that if the passenger side airbag(s) can't be disabled, then the seat is back as far as it can go.

quickbuck, Sep 14, 1:18am
Lotus 7 Replica with an Air Bag?

Wow, that's flash.

robotnik, Sep 14, 1:31am

mm12345, Sep 14, 1:32am
Relevant to the thread title - to open top 2-seater cars - though obviously not to the OP's car.

toppo1, Sep 14, 1:35am
And it looks like problem solved thank you!

quickbuck, Sep 14, 1:37am
Nor the text he wrote.

mm12345, Sep 14, 2:06am
So what? It's relevant to the thread title, thus on-topic.

robotnik, Sep 14, 4:04am
Those seats are quite handy when travelling overseas when you don't want the hassle of carrying a large booster in your luggage.

dinx, Sep 14, 6:00am

survivalkiwi, Sep 14, 6:19am
I have been thinking about this all day.
Just put her in the seat and take her for a ride. There are more dangerous things kids can be doing. If you get stopped by the police name and shame him/her on here.

toppo1, Sep 14, 6:46am
Have done just this around the block which is why I'm after after a more permanant solution for longer drives. the inflatable booster seems to tick all the boxes, didn'tknow the product existed so a win for me

lookoutas, Sep 14, 7:20am
I can see the problem you alluded to - she would be better off sitting down in the proper seat, other than being perched up on a booster and ready to shoot straight over the side!

The practicability aspect often doesn't coincide with regulations.
Too bloody much cotton-wool. Jeez - my parents would have spent all my growing up life in jail, owing to what we were allowed to do.