Useless God dam road workers F&H

gunhand, Feb 20, 9:54pm
Strange how this outfit has the same initials as a curse.
Yesterday the whole shootin match turned up to ruin some more roads. 15 watchers 4 consultants and 2 actual workers
I poped my head out the door as we have customers and our own cars out front, to see what was going to happen.
Hmmmm, road sealing (ruining) it seems.
Wandered over to a woman who looked important and was giving directions to others. Hi, Do you want us to move our cars, it's no problem at all? No, all good we are working that away from them so no prob.
Sweet. Went back in side and attended to another classic for a while, lots of loud noises ,voices . machinery backwards and forwards and so on.
Then came the sealing, I watched this and the wind was taking the grey mist away from the cars. I went over to check anyway.
So F&H ruined yet another stretch of road, left small rocks everywhere (I think it's spose to be road chip) and buggered off.
All good, jumped in my nice shiny new (to me) car and went home.
This morning being a nice cool dry day I thought ill go wax the car.
Need I continue? God jolly Gosh and Darn.
Now there lucky I have product that removes this black crap very easy.
They will be getting a phone call on Monday. Wonder how they would feel about a bill to do 4 more cars?
Not to mention they leave there rocks for cars that speed past our shop to through all over the place hitting vehicles. Awesome outfit.

tamarillo, Feb 20, 10:01pm
Yep, though f&h aren't alone or responsible really. It's our govt insisting on cheap chip seal as it's cheaper to lay in short term, and the price doesn't allow finishing so they leave it and let us sweep it slowly.
They've just done a few k of Tarmac near me as its high use, and my god it's lovely stuff. Quiet and smooth. And it wasn't driven on until it was finished and ready.
I understand it lasts much longer but of course is more expensive.

And as for all the stupid road works and 50 km signs that are left for days when all they have done is work on verge and then buggered off. the story of the boy that calls wolf comes to mind, I don't mind slowing right down when workman there, but get mad when there's no need at all.

gunhand, Feb 20, 10:17pm
Its prob to allow all the rocks to be flung away at 50kph instead of 100kph into oncoming cars. Far easier than running a road sweeper then suction unit to rid the roads of all them, they stay there for months, ok in the center parts where road tracks are but is someone pulls over a wee bit, holly hell its raining meteorites.

andrewcg53, Feb 21, 1:18am
Paint thinner will remove tar

jmma, Feb 21, 1:25am
Gunhand is a Painter Lol (o:

andrewcg53, Feb 21, 1:31am
Didn't read past OP

clark20, Feb 21, 1:57am
I had a similar problem only 2 weeks ago. They sprayed the centre line and then thought it was OK to spray the a line that is 1 car width from the curb, only 0.5m from a long row of parked cars. I found the company from our surveillance cameras , emailed the boss and he had the whole crew of 4 come across Auckland to clean 4 of our cars. They will not do that again in the future.

vivac, Feb 21, 2:12am
If you call the company and explain the situation they will send out another company to clean the tar off your car.
I had it done to one of my cars about 10 years ago where I parked for work, they sent a cleaning crew in the next couple of days and it was cleaned very well.

elect70, Feb 21, 4:58am
The idea is to let the traffic bed down the seal then bush off the remainder , they couldnt give a stuff about damage to your paintwork . Crappy cheap roading system .

westwyn, Feb 21, 6:53am
Some years back when I still had a yard (with long road frontage) contractors re-sealing the road out front did so with a tar spraying truck on a windy day- with the wind blowing over the dealership.

Needless to say, after a couple of terse phone calls and a quick missive from our solicitor, said contracting company footed the bill for the entire dealership stock (in those days in excess of 100 cars) to be professionally groomed and detailed externally, to our satisfaction. Bill was many, many thousands of dollars, some cars took half a day or more to get rid of the tar spotting on glass, screen surrounds, monsoon shields etc etc- the hard stuff.

It had never occurred to them that damage could ensue as a result of their actions on a windy day. I mean, who'd a thunk?

crankypants69, Feb 21, 7:35am
Yep, I'm sure they must have shares in novus!

dublo, Feb 21, 10:19am
I have been a regular writer of "letters to he editor" over the slack efforts of road sealing crews in my town. ( No doubt it is all done to a low price so there is ratepayers' money available for councillors' useless overseas junkets,)

Latest piece of incompetence was when a very short section of road was resealed. They left "slow, 50km/h" and the graphic flying gravel signs out. In a 50 km/h zone!

I agree with other correspondents' comments about the loose gravel being left on the road, to be flung up on to the footpath or onto other vehicles. And the trouble is, many "drivers" don't give damn about anyone else or the damage they will do to their cars.

centec, Feb 21, 7:14pm
Quick tip for anyone who does have sealing emulsion to remove from surfaces on your car. Cooking or olive oil will remove it easily as will kerosine or diesel. For tougher jobs, use a citrus based cleaner.

ebygum1, Feb 21, 7:43pm
I use WD40 sprayed onto a cloth to remove tar,easy to do and leaves no residue.C R C will do the same.

serf407, Feb 21, 8:00pm
A short section being repaired the other day locally in the heat was probably just as damaged by the time the 'boys' were leaving for home as when they started.
If they had put the speed reduction signs a bit further back up the road, the traffic might have had time to slow before they reached the new seal.

pauldw, Feb 21, 8:09pm
Last week I headed down SH3 from Hamilton to New Plymouth expecting to hit some lime stabilised cement undercoat somewhere. This time that was all in the northbound lane but I did strike some chip sealing with so little chip that even crawling along the tyres were picking up tar coated stones and flicking them up around the suspension. Each front disc had a few stones trapped behind the shield so the rotors had to be removed.

tony9, Jun 5, 2:18pm
Nothing to do with the Govt. The ones paying are either your local authority (council) or Transport NZ. Call them and complain, and send your bills to them.

F&H and others are answerable to councils or Transport NZ and they will be under contract to finish the job properly and to make good any damage that happens. This includes tar on cars etc.