Courtesy cars

Page 1 / 2
curlcrown, Jun 21, 9:23pm
Who finds they come back disgustingly dirty after just a day or two of use. One decent one is now a pig covered in dents and scratches after less than a year. If they get a old one they moan and groan.

doglover2003, Jun 21, 9:30pm
Goes with the territorty - lots do not give a shit about courtesy
or rental cars, there to be abused, driven hard - free fun time.
If you get a sense they would be the above type give them
an old one, better them moaning than you.

intrade, Jun 21, 9:30pm
what business and what client base?

twink19, Jun 21, 9:36pm
same problem, workshop, one guy turned up with dog and wanted a loan car. most are pretty good

brapbrap8, Jun 21, 10:13pm
I had a dealership workshop ruin my new ute and they insisted on giving me a Honda Accord as a courtesy car. Needless to say, I can't just stop running my business so I just treated their Honda like a ute, chucked hay bales in the back, drove it around farms and on gravel roads.

Sure enough, next time it was in they gave me another ute to drive.

gmphil, Jun 22, 12:03am
? im confused here good customer or not spend a little or a lot .
arnt u supposed to return in same condition ?
like if was me any dents ,damage or cleaning required to bring back to standard should be charge to customer .
like this is a courtesy not as post 2 put a free time or given rite !

sorry brap brap8 if that were me u would of bein charged for every bit of hay and dirt removed lol

kazbanz, Jun 22, 12:58am
How we deal with it is that it is a RENTAL car with a rental agreement of sorts. So the km's.Dings dents etc are noted down and the insurance excess is explained to them.Its explained that the rental car is to be returned same condition as loaned in or they will be charged.
Mrs Kaz is better at explaining it that I am but basicly we tell them its exactly the same as renting a car from a rental company except you aren't paying. Since then the damage has reduced a lot.

lookoutas, Jun 22, 2:16am
Why do people always expect someone else's mum or dad, to be theirs?

Sort ya own shit out!

nzmax, Jun 22, 3:14am
Worked at a garage years ago and some of the workshop courtesy cars came back in an absolutely disgusting condition compared to when they left, and sometimes only after a few hours. Seems to be the "its not mine, so ill drive/treat it like I stole it" attitude. The odd one came back with fuel gauge on E (was full when loaned and only recorded minimal km's), good tyres swapped for bald ones, good battery swapped for old, good tail or head lights replaced with broken one (yes, customers had same make/model car as their second car) etc. They too, implemented a "Rental" type agreement like Kaz does, and pretty much overnight, most of those problems reduced greatly. Im sure the customer with the courtesy car would have something to say if their own car being serviced/fixed was returned to them in as filthy or damaged condition as they return the courtesy car.

stevo2, Jun 22, 4:44am
Ive always been fortunate enough to score awesome loan cars, last one was a brand new Santa Fe done about 300km.
They have been mint when I got them and mint when they go back and generally with as much, if not more fuel than when I borrowed them.
Very happy overall.

tgray, Jun 22, 5:01am
Always come back empty!

puddleduck00, Jun 22, 5:06am
My father failed a WOF a couple of years back and he let the WOF place do a couple of minor repairs. It was nice that they gave him a courtesy car, but the irony being that the courtesy car had no rego of WOF.

nesta129, Jun 22, 11:36am
Gave out our courtesy car once to a girl while we fixed her car (which her boss bought her) and it came back stinking of dog and strong weed.
Had to clean out the car and air it for a long while!

bumfacingdown, Jun 22, 7:04pm
And the user whinges their arse off that "The tight prick left me with no fuel, I had to put twenty bucks in it myself"

tamarillo, Jun 22, 7:39pm
Yes my mechanic had a growl over this,mprovided a nice courtesy car and it got wrecked so now provides a clean safe dunger and folk complain! I don't!
And if I ever use it for enough to show movement in petrol gauge I put more in. Apparently that's rare.
What pisses me off is that he has to account for this in hourly rate to everyone.
One lady wanted it for a hour whist hers was getting warrant and some tiny thing fixed. Then she complained. Don't think she'll be back.m

gman35, Jun 22, 11:29pm
Re : fuel use, I would have thought that it would be better to supply car with the understanding that it either comes back with "the fuel needle at least in same place" OR just charge a set amount if only a few K's used ? (garage should photo of dash before car leaves of course) as it's silly for a client stopping at garage just for $5 worth to cover the 15min of driving time they may have used getting to work and back if only in for the day.

floscey, Jun 22, 11:35pm
I always think of the movie "The Mask" . bring out the "loaner" .

puddleduck00, Jun 22, 11:55pm
Why don't they just send it out with a full tank (and charge a small bond) with the agreement being that you return it with a full tank and show a fuel receipt or you lose your bond. I'd feel that was pretty reasonable if I was the customer.

mopsy3, Jun 23, 3:06am
There are rules regarding courtesy cars, one of them is that you cannot 'rent' them out. The MTA have a very good Courtesy Car agreement that the client signs which tells them that they are liable for damage, cleaning, petrol, excess etc and that they cannot drive outside of a 50km radius - not that that stops them.

brapbrap8, Jun 23, 3:47am
The rule about not driving outside a 50km radius is not ideal when your house is 70km from the dealership.

brapbrap8, Jun 23, 4:03am
So if somebody wrecked your work vehicle and gave you a useless sedan to drive for a week at your busiest time of the year that would be all good with you?

If I get a courtesy car while one of my vehicles is in for a service or something, I look after them very well and always return them with a lot more fuel than they started with.
I have little sympathy for the dealership mechanics who ruined my vehicle and forced me to drive their dunga for a week at a major inconvenience though.

mopsy3, Jun 23, 4:04am
I think they call that discretion on the workshops part. We have had our cars go from Auckland to Whangarei, Auckland to Rotorua, Auckland to all sorts of interesting places. Often you only find out when you get a ticket of some description a few weeks later. We had one of our cars impounded because the driver was drunk and thought it was a good idea to go up North to pick up his son.
People have no respect. personally I would like to get rid of courtesy cars altogether but they are a necessary evil that clients can use and abuse because you are a workshop, you can fix it yourself for free. As the guy did with the workshops vehicle above.

mopsy3, Jun 23, 4:04am
Oh it was you. LOL. Classy.

mopsy3, Jun 23, 4:06am
Wondering what constitutes 'ruined'? I was always taught that two wrongs don't make a right. Guess you missed that lesson.

mimik3, Jun 23, 5:40am
The fact that they don't have to give you anything comes to mind.
No wonder some businesses don't want to give out courtesy cars, and maybe you should look up the word courtesy.