98 toyota corrolla spacio 4afe cambelt or camchain

Page 1 / 2
geminidragon, Apr 8, 7:27pm
x1
hi bought a 98 toyota corrolla spacio for work as i drive 90ks a day and was told it had a camchain and not to worry ,its a 4afe engine and a bit dubious as whether it is or not ,can anyone help to confirm this ,previous owner said because its a 98 its a chain many thanks

mugenb20b, Apr 8, 7:36pm
4A-FE engine has a cambelt, easy enough to replace.

intrade, Apr 8, 7:37pm
x1
ummmmmmmm am i hope it was cheap and solid as your going for a wof every 6 month with that
and who told you it had a cam chain.

geminidragon, Apr 8, 7:39pm
oh dear hate being misinformed ,any cheap places in auckland areas that could do the belt tensioner seals and waterpump i,d hate to get stuck on the motorway ,i did here that they are a non intererence engine as well

geminidragon, Apr 8, 7:40pm
the bloke who sold it to me ,not a car yard though

intrade, Apr 8, 8:00pm
you probably should fully service it if sounds like you bought a toyota from somone who uses a wof as all that needs doing to there toyota.
i would have to look i think my toyota has the same engine and the waterpump i did not do as its not cam driven . You better inspect soonest your coolant is not just brown water . toyota coolant is black
well it must be my toyota has black coolant and it mesured with a refractometer 45° below zero its probably why it is still mint with 320,000km on the odometer.

geminidragon, Apr 8, 8:03pm
my coolant is green

intrade, Apr 8, 8:09pm
es same engine code on my 95 corolla
open the bonnet and look under the engine mount you see a pulley there. that is your external waterpump drive pulley
i have dont a full service on my toyota who also was owned by a owner who used it as spear car so it was never serviced in 5 years other then a oil change when i got it is yours a 3 speed automatic or 4
the 4 speed auto have a overdrive button the 3 speed dont.
or have you got a manual?

geminidragon, Apr 8, 8:13pm
3 speed with od button

intrade, Apr 8, 8:17pm
Here the items i serviced on my one i did not put prices as its my own so would have to figure the costs out if you needed to know
Change spark-plugs 4
changed fuel filter 1
oil filter wix or geniuen toyota 1
oil capacity 4.8 liter fully sinthetic
fully serviced auto-trans with
12 liter dextron 3 flush box and differntial fluid exchange
auto trans filter 1
auto trans sump gasket 1
checked wheel alignment 1
cleaned pcv positive crank ventilation 1
1 dose of injector cleaner
exchanged brake fluid 1.5L
and fitted new rear brake shoes with 2 new cilinders
timing belt on my one checkd out ok was done at 280 k

peanuteater, Apr 8, 8:34pm
Interesting, i have same engine in 96 corolla, 248 k, have done all above when i first got it as well as dist. cap, only thing i havent done is clean pcv valve, as ive never been sure where it is.

intrade, Apr 8, 8:34pm
timing belt exchange with 2 seals should cost 250$ max and that is the high side i recall doing them for 220$ just belt tensioner and seals rocker cover gasket must also be exchanged as the cover comes off to do it faster and making sure its alligned correctly
timing belt and all of the above i would however estimate to be close to a grand if not slight over, summs add up fast.

intrade, Apr 8, 8:36pm
pcv is on top of the rocker cover that pipe going to the intake carfully remove it some are brittle as hell clean flush it with carb cleaner and dry it befor reinsering and connecting back up 5 minute job for that.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/pcv-replace/5e-fe.jpg

peanuteater, Apr 8, 8:53pm
Thats awesome=Many thanks intrade !

geminidragon, Apr 9, 9:59pm
wow only $84.50 for cambelt kit inc belt tensioner and two seals ,just got to find a good mechanic who wont charge a bomb

intrade, Apr 9, 10:21pm
dont expect it to be done for less then 220$ upwards
dont take it to the cheapest place you can find because some just charge you for the work and dont actuarly do the work. i know of a few cases even big fancy outfits who have been taken to disputes tribunal afterwards

len_f, Apr 10, 6:44am
if a 4afe cambelt snaps it doesn,t matter the car will stop with no damage it is a non interference cheers

tgray, Apr 10, 7:05am
What is the odometer reading?
My mechanic charges $25 to remove cover and check if replacement belt already fitted. The fact this is a 17 year old vehicle, it should be apparent whether it has been changed or not.

kazbanz, Apr 10, 7:40am
take it back to the seller and ask for your money back or a portion thereof--you were lied to and you are entitled to compensation imo.
NO 1998 spacio is ever camchain and the seller would have know that
$685 is the figure I have in mind. -Pump,belt,tensioner and seals properly fitted

thunderbolt, Apr 10, 7:47am
At that price you won't be getting OE spec or warranty. At least it won't damage the engine if anything fails, but it might strand you somewhere.

geminidragon, Apr 10, 8:48pm
214 kms

geminidragon, Apr 10, 8:48pm
thunderbolt wrote:

At that price you won't be getting OE spec or warranty. At least it won't damage the engine if anything fails, but it might strand you somewhere.[/quote
]thats dayco which is covered by oem manufactures warrenty apparently

geminidragon, Apr 10, 8:49pm
private fb sale and the add has been taken down :(

geminidragon, Apr 10, 8:50pm
good to know thanks

kazbanz, Apr 11, 8:09am
doesn't matter-they lied