760 HP SUV.

tamarillo, Oct 1, 7:26pm
https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/first-tesla-model-x-deliveries-completed?email=CXK-Email-Weekly%20eShot-20150930&utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CXK-Email-Weekly%20eShot-20150930

At first I thought 'that'll sell to wealthy school run mums' imagine kids opening up that rear door at school!
But then I see it has 760 HP ! Hope it has docile mode.

mm12345, Oct 1, 8:33pm
Those doors seem to open quite high. If they won't open full-height under an open sectional door in a typical garage, then it's a problem IMO for the "soccer mom" crowd. If the car has to be reversed out of the garage before loading the rug-rats and strapping them into their seats, that's not a great thing from a safety POV, despite the thing no doubt being fitted with screens, reversing cameras, sensors etc etc.

trogedon, Oct 1, 10:48pm
Not really an SUV thankfully.

richardmayes, Oct 1, 11:24pm
a hundred thousand quid is currently $230,000 in New Zealand money.

In inner-city suburbs of Auckland and Wellington where cars that expensive live, there;s not always a lot of space and you see a lot of very flash cars living on the street or in driveways.

richardmayes, Oct 1, 11:25pm
I thought van-style sliding rear doors were taking over on most of the school-run SUVs, because you don't have to worry about your kids smashing them into the car next to yours?

mm12345, Oct 1, 11:52pm
Tesla X price is supposed to be about US$80k for the 70D, but through to $144k for the limited edition signature P90D. I assume the hundred thousand quid version is for that model. The base model probably wouldn't be inconsistent with local Audi Q7 4.2 pricing.
Tesla 3, if they can keep it near the suggested price of US$35k, then that starts getting serious for the NZ market as it's a more normal size car and could be consistent with what buyers already pay for "premium" medium sized cars. Whether it eventuates as such in 2017/18 is another story.

thunderbolt, Oct 1, 11:57pm

elect70, Oct 2, 12:03am
WTF how do they get 750 hp ( 560 kw) from a 90 kw battery ? it would only last 6 seconds & somehow cant see battery taking that power without destroying itself instantly .

bill-robinson, Oct 2, 12:08am
use VW emissions software

tamarillo, Oct 2, 12:13am
It does sound ridiculous doesn't it. I assume base models don't have that, but even those could have that instant torque sensation of electrics that might scare those non enthusiasts drivers. Hopefully it's electronically limited in normal mode.
Tesla still hasn't turned a profit so I do hope this and the smaller cheaper SUV coming will take off.

mm12345, Oct 2, 12:18am
It's 90 kw/hour, not 90kw/minutes. So that takes it to just under 10 minutes.
But in all probability it would never get near that, overheat protection would kick in to limit motors, inverters, battery etc.
For a Dodge Hellcat, how long do you think the motor would last on a dyno where it was outputting continuous 707hp, and how much fuel do you think it would use?

mm12345, Oct 2, 12:31am
Not making a profit is normal in the car manufacturing business. Even the world No1, VAG, the books look terrible (before dieselgate) for the auto divisions, undercapitalised with very poor ROI. The finance division however - now that's a different story.
That makes it hard for any new or small maker to break in, and is probably why smaller marques have ended up in the ownership of well-capitalised Chinese/Indian firms.

richardmayes, Oct 2, 1:05am
Realistically, how long does any high-powered petrol or diesel vehicle ever spend continuously running at full throttle? Ten or twelve seconds down a quarter mile? Two or three seconds (legally) on the road?

IIRC Jeremy Clarkson once drove a Mclaren Mercedes SLR across Europe for a top gear stunt, and he said you had to think carefully about what speed to drive at if you wanted to achieve good point-to-point times, as the AMG V8 would drain the tank every 12 minutes if you run at full speed on the unlimited motorways.

mm12345, Oct 2, 2:23am
^^^
Assume 500kw, then 30% efficiency (petrol engine), so 70% of the fuel is turned into heat. Of that, say 1/2 goes out the exhaust, the rest has to be air-cooled through the radiator - about 580 one bar radiant heaters worth.
That's quite an ask.

Round off that 30% efficiency to energy density of petrol at 32.4 MJ/l, so then to 10MJ/litre is maximum output you'd ever get, then based on a 500kw petrol engine fuel use would be 180 l/hour, say a tank per 20 minutes. Clarkson's comment was probably bang on as there's no way that 30% efficiency could be achieved at maximum output. Assuming that you were trudging along at 200mph, you might just make it from Turangi to Waiouru on a tank. That's good, I guess.

bill-robinson, Oct 2, 6:19am
46.51 imp gallons per hour.

clark20, Oct 2, 9:46am
And the poor old ML63 AMG only has 585hp, and the X5M 565hp

bill-robinson, Oct 2, 6:00pm
but the weight of the vehicle is very important for performance

mm12345, Oct 2, 10:09pm
ML63 AMG and Tesla X are about the same weight - not much difference really (100kg or so, apparently).

elect70, Oct 3, 2:20am
An electric motor is supposed to operate at full power for efiecency & can sustain itr continously . Assuming 200volts then full power is 2800 amps DC instant on Why put in 560 kw motors if cant use it Unlike an Ice engine where torque drops off electric is continous ? . If a machine in a factory only requires 100 kw to do the job you dont put in 200 kw

tamarillo, Apr 1, 5:31pm
I thought that had changed. Certainly US car makers operated like that but are reported to have changed their ways. To best of my knowledge vag and others turned profits though I'll admit to not knowing the particulars.
Does tesla have a seperate company for finance though? If it is in house wouldn't it be included? The report didn't break down whether the loss was tesla as an entity or only its car division so you could be right.