Help on audi 1997!

Page 1 / 2
ljin, Apr 15, 9:40am
Hello

I am looking at buying an audi station wagon it's a 1997 model it does have high mileage for its age 280000.

I am wondering of there's anyone that could help me with reliability with this car, I do realise I am not buying a perfect car but I want to know if the engines are reliable?

Thanks!

Laihua

grangies, Apr 15, 9:49am
RS4? LOL. hahahah.

A4? A6?

mopeds, Apr 15, 9:52am
Engines are intolerant to poor servicing, lots of funny plastic seals and clamps which perish, camshaft wear is a common problem, great cars but at that age really only for enthusiasts.

ljin, Apr 15, 9:52am
It's a4

grangies, Apr 15, 10:01am
There's a bloke on this Trade Me forum, who loves Audi's and will have some good advice of he pops in.

You'll need more info for him though, as a 1997 A4 Audi had a lot of engines to choose from when buying new.

Diesel and Petrol. Turbo etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A4#B5_.28Typ_8D.3B_1994.E2.80.932001.29

franc123, Apr 15, 10:21am
There is more to a car than just an engine, there is still the issue of the rest of the thing falling to bits, auto trans are a dumb design with a number of inherent faults that's difficult to service and doesn't have external cooling, electrical problems, trim failure, plastic cooling system parts disintegrating etc. Theyre past their use by date, you need to remember they are built for the reasonably wealthy to use for a few years and then be sent for recycling after 10 years. If you can only afford something that old, go Jap and even then take the usual precautions when buying. Its a jungle out there.

mals69, Apr 16, 1:44am
Get your answer from their resale value compared
to new purchase price ? Good cars hold value well
for their age - the car in question does not. Cheap
cause nobody wants them - have a good overdraft
facility if you buy it :)

bwg11, Apr 16, 2:20am
What could I add? It has all been said.

mals69, Apr 16, 2:43am
:) Stepdaughters boyfriend bought one at turners for $4000 - when I sat behind the wheel in the driveway thought wow beautiful finish (see the attraction) week later the wee lad was pushing it out of same driveway each time he came to visit as it had lost reverse. He flicked it on and bought a jappa.

monsieurl, Apr 16, 3:05am
Jazz Piano's generally the TMMB Euro guy, he'll no doubt be here later!

What I can say about buying a euro is that detailed service history and a PPI is a must, @ 280kms it's getting up there but if it's had an impeccable service history there's no reason you won't get another 280km out of it. remember you usually do get what you pay for!

tamarillo, Apr 16, 4:57am
It would need to be cheap ($2000 max) and have excellant service history with workshops that know audi cars.
The last owner of my 1998 A4 spent over $6000 on automatic box at less than 150,000! Not that there is any thing wrong with these cars, in fact they're very well built, but any car will be needing help at those miles and these are fussy about servicing.
There are plenty of lower milage ones around of this vintage, and honestly if I could only spend $2000 I wouldn't get an audi. That's just my opinion.

msigg, Apr 16, 5:29am
As above, if its cheap enough then when it starts to cost just drop it off at the wreckers and start again. Just use it till it dies.

mals69, Apr 16, 5:57am
Could it really be said they well built when the auto
needs rebuilding at 150K - auto looks to be Achilles ?

tamarillo, Apr 17, 1:13am
i
If it was very common no, but most seem to manage big miles with no more failures than seems standard for any car.
Not many auto makers make own boxes anyway, though I have no idea about this one. But car itself is solidly made, everything is typically well engineered and well built. Engine is sweet and smooth, so reckon box was just bad luck or misadventure.

bjmh, Apr 17, 2:58am
I have a 1999 BMW520i here,the owner brought it cheap ? his words. he paid $4000 for it about 18 months ago.He reckons he has spent about $10,000 on repairs,all done through a BMW dealer. water got into the air bag modules. all sorts of bizarre things.Recently the waterpump collapsed,now the plastic tank on one end of the radiator has split.I am getting the radiator sorted,but it still has an electrical fault. it drains the battery.The owner is talking about selling it for b/all on tm.It was a import in 2004 ,you have to wonder what it did in the previous life. deck cargo on a submarine. perhaps.

vtecintegra, Apr 17, 3:17am
Singapore import?

bjmh, Apr 17, 4:23am
possibly . just going off reg label.Its unfortunate for European cars like this to be lumped in the same barrel as these P.O.S things that came in with unknown history.

mals69, Apr 17, 5:07am
Okay thought may be quite common, knew of one too - all
the same never heard of a jappa auto needing a full rebuild at

Cheers

tamarillo, Apr 17, 6:21am
Read more.

tamarillo, Apr 17, 6:24am
That's the downside of forums, hearing one case and thinking they're all shit. Had 2 five series, one went from 100 to 200,000 k in my care with almost nothing but oils and filters. Had one suspension joint, and brakes in all that time. Built like proverbial.
Something wrong with that one you've got! Ex Singapore is good call.m

mals69, Apr 17, 9:02am
Are you for real ?

Their resale value does all the talking ! :)

franc123, Apr 17, 9:17am
Solidly made? They're absolute junk, poorly designed and manufactured with very, shall we say, recyclable materials. Like the low rent VW product they are based on they give the IMPRESSION of quality construction, when you start pulling them to bits you realise pretty quick they aren't. Subcontracting the manufacture of the interior and underbonnet plastics in particular to the likes of Hyundai, GreatWall or Ssangyongs suppliers might get a slightly.better result. Also auto failure is a signature problem, not a one off.

mals69, Apr 17, 9:27am
"You are a fruit alright"

You selling one that has only 158K on the clock
and previous owner spent 6k on the auto.
Unfair to set the OP up for an easy fall.
Type audi a3 a - into google and automatic problems is second behind
Auckland in auto fill search terms - good sign they shite.

And why bring a BMW into the equation ?

mals69, Apr 17, 8:14pm
Cat got your tongue tamarillo ? Thought that would
shut you up !

tamarillo, Apr 17, 8:22pm
As does the resale of any older car here. Despite you're dislike they're are many folk who get great runs out of these cars, and actively seek them out.
You're entitled to your opinion but accept that some don't share it.

Read more ads on trademe to seejap cars with rebuilt gearboxes or dead ones. There are plenty.