2001 Hilux head lights

neell, Dec 7, 8:25pm
Last night the headlights turned themselves on. Only way I could turn them off was to take out the fuses. Headlights only not tail lights.
To say I have not idea why is an understatement. Any ideas, thanks?

intrade, Dec 7, 8:27pm
my first guess is you have water entering your fuese box froma previously shonkey installed windscreen. check fuse box for corrosion water ingression

807, Dec 7, 8:29pm
are you saying that they could not be turned off with the switch ?

neell, Dec 7, 8:33pm
Yes, the switch was in the off position, when I turned the switch to on the tail lights came on and when I turned it of the headlights stayed on

neell, Dec 7, 8:34pm
Fuse box is in the engine compartment and is fine.

intrade, Dec 7, 8:39pm
there be more fuses and releys look under dashboard .
at leaste if it dont apears to have moisture entering you can sortof cross that off. My iveco has had the lights on water entered thru the boot in engine compartment in to fuse box . we have stote like animals chewing rubbers called a marder whom done that cause me 260$ replacment fuse box to fix it and silicone the hole up
Here you can get mice and rats eat wires to name another reason
i would say something is turning on the head light high beam reley no idea how the circuit works without a wiring diagramm these are just guess at what might be .

neell, Dec 7, 10:27pm
Right, I charged the battery and had a play. removing the fuse makes the light go out which is understandable, removing the relay did the same - also understandable.
When the lights are turned on and on low beam everything seems normal however when the lights are on and you put them on high beam the relay vibrates as in turning off and on rapidly but the lights do not flicker (may be because they are on and off so quick), turning the lights off stops the vibration but the lights stay on.
I think a trip to an auto sparkie is next. Thanks for your help.

intrade, Dec 7, 10:59pm
the wire turning the reley on has a problem somwhere. possible shorting it to ground , thats what your electrition should conclude from the info you just gave

neell, Dec 7, 11:24pm
I have asked Mr Google and it seems to be a common problem, the indicator stem seems to have issues which cause the problem. About to remove it.

neell, Jul 6, 5:33pm
I had time to look at the problem today, been driving with relay out. Put the relay back in and there was no fault, fixed itself.
I am now waiting for the fault to return.
Thanks for your input.